It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Tyson's return ends in shocking fourth-round knockout

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
cart pusher and parking lot security at walmart....

TRD

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Mike Tyson tore a ligament in his left knee in the first round of his shocking knockout loss to Danny Williams, his manager said Saturday.

Shelly Finkel said an MRI showed a complex tear of the lateral meniscus, and that Tyson couldn’t even walk on the leg Saturday. He said Tyson's ex-wife Monica, who is a doctor, read the results.

"That's why he couldn't throw the right hand the rest of the fight," Finkel said. "I was screaming at him to throw it, but he couldn't."

Tyson was dominating the first round, rocking Williams with shots to the head, but late in the round motioned toward his knee and grimaced. Finkel said Tyson refused to make an excuse and wanted to continue fighting.
link

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by truenorth
But they'll probably come up with some excuse and peddle him out there again, gotta have that PPV money.

I hate to say I told you so, BUT....

They just can't let go of their cash cow.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I almost guessed that there would be some sort of an excuse for Tyson losing. There always is.

TRD

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Danny Williams will put his world title dreams on hold to seek a lucrative rematch with Mike Tyson.

The Brixton 31-year-old gatecrashed the world heavyweight elite by crushing former world champion Tyson in four rounds in Louisville on Friday night.

He is desperate to fulfil a lifelong ambition and claim a version of the crown once held by his vanquished opponent.

But first Williams will pursue the arguably more lucrative option of persuading Tyson back into the ring.

link

[Edited on 1/8/04 by TRD]

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
A rematch?

Maybe Williams wants to show that the leg injury had nothing to do with it. I didnt see the fight, does Mike have a chance with this guy?

TRD

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Well i don't know PA if he does have a chance. I guess he has a punchers chance. As for the rematch Tyson would need it more than Williams. It would be a bigger pay day for Williams as he could negotiate the purse. He only got about $80,000 for beating Tyson.

As i said before Williams isn't that great a fighter and there is talks of him fighting Klitschko. Well that just makes me laugh as he has no chance in that fight. People are living off the Tyson name, once they beat him they think they are the best fighters in the world. Tyson is no where near his best and i don't think he ever will be now. They pulled the plug on all deals that was on the table for Tyson and now he will only get a few hundred thousand $$ if he is lucky for his next fights. Tyson needs to beat a known respected boxer very soon otherwise his career is over. No promoter will want to touch him.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
It sounds like the rematch is William's idea,

Do you think Tyson will accept? I guess he has to because of his financial situation, or do you think he will seek a bigger name?

TRD

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
No bigger name is going to want to fight Tyson now. Tyson cannot challenge any of the top fighters as he is not ranked in the top 10. He needs to beat some of the little guys and build his way back again. Thats why he was fighting Williams, but that went terribly wrong for him. Tyson is in no position now to pick fights. He has to wait now to see who will ask him to fight them. Thats if anyone decent does.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Well hopefully they'll rematch then. And that means if Tyson wins, then you would have to have a tie-breaker.

TRD

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
He he yea...

Well yeah i would say take the rematch if it is offered. It's his best chance at the moment. He needs to win it though otherwise he could be truely finished.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
How long would that probably be, between fights?

TRD

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Not long i guess, maybe a couple of months...

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It was a great win for Williams but the media and himself are portraying him as some sort of world beater now. The pack is closing in and it seems everyone want's a piece of him now.

TRD

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Mike Tyson is scheduled to have surgery after tearing a ligament in his left knee during the first round of his upset knockout loss to Danny Williams on Friday night.

An MRI exam on Sunday displayed a complex tear of the lateral meniscus after Tyson wasn't even able to walk on the leg Saturday.

"Under normal circumstances the pain and locking that occurs with this injury would make it impossible for the athlete to continue and he would have to be taken out of the game or the boxing match on a stretcher or with assistance," said Dr. Richard Emerson, who will perform the surgery in Phoenix.

Tyson, who is trying is re-establish his fading legacy in the ring, was dominating the first round of the bout when late in the round he motioned towards his knee and grimaced.

Williams, a 9-1 underdog, ended up knocking Tyson out in the fourth round, leaving speculation among those in the boxing community that "Iron Mike" is shot as a fighter.

Tyson, 38, who is also basically fighting to get out of an estimated $38 million debt, earned around $8 million Friday night, but would keep only $2 million of that if a bankruptcy plan is approved to reorganize the former champ's debts.

Promoter Bob Arum, who planned to offer Tyson a mega four-fight deal worth around $100 million if the fighter looked good, stated the deal was now off the table.

They are saying that he could well be finished as a fighter. It could take 6 months to recover from the operation. Then a further 6 months or so to get fully fit and ready to fight again. This would put him just over 40 years old.

Will he be able to come back at 40?

Sir

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
He will never come back from that, i just can't see it. Fighting at 40? No one will take him seriously. He has blown his chances and now will remain in the gutter.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join