It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Tyson's return ends in shocking fourth-round knockout

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- Mike Tyson was knocked out in the fourth round Friday night in a shocking end to the latest comeback of the fighter who once was the most feared heavyweight of his era.

Unheralded British heavyweight Danny Williams landed a flurry of punches that sent Tyson sprawling into the ropes, perhaps ending his career with the same kind of fury that Tyson once unleashed on other fighters.

The fighter once called the baddest man on the planet went down from a final right hand, then laid helplessly along the ropes, blood streaming down his face. He tried to get up to beat the count, then fell down again and the fight was waved to a stunning close at 2:51 of the fourth round.

The fight was a free-for-all from the opening bell, with Tyson landing some huge left hooks early, only to take punishment himself when Williams got over his initial stage fright and began brawling himself.

Tyson won the first three rounds, but Williams was landing well to the head and when he began throwing punch after punch with Tyson near a neutral corner, Tyson couldn't answer back.

Fighting in Muhammad Ali's hometown before a big crowd that cheered his every move, Tyson tried with every punch to score the kind of spectacular knockout that would make him a heavyweight contender once again at the age of 38.

But Williams wouldn't go down and then came back with shocking suddeness to win.

It was Tyson's first fight in 17 months, and only his second since taking a beating from former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis two years ago.

He was desperately trying to resurrect a career that made him more than $300 million, but the loss to a 9-1 underdog perhaps signals the end of an era in the heavyweight division.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Other Sources
Williams overcomes Tyson

[Edited on 30-7-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I honestly hope this is the last we hear of Tyson in the ring. Stick a fork in him, he's done. But they'll probably come up with some excuse and peddle him out there again, gotta have that PPV money.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Wow, thats shocking.

I knew he wasn't the Tyson of old, but nobody was giving Williams much of a chance. Yeah, this is probably the end of the road for Tyson's boxing career although I heard that he promised a bunch of fights over the next 2 years to re-pay some of his debts. That's too bad for Mike, boxing is all he really knows. I wonder if he'd make a good trainer.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
I wonder if he'd make a good trainer.

Maybe, as long as he isn't hungry while sparring with his fighter.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Never would have guessed it. Tyson certainly wasn't his old self in that fight. I remember him losing to Holyfield when he bit the guys ear off, but still never thought that the feared Mike Tyson would go down to some guy that I've barely ebn heard of. Hopefully he is finished now. I never thought much of him as a fighter, although, he was always good for a few quotes.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by truenorth

Maybe, as long as he isn't hungry while sparring with his fighter.

Well of course he would have to wear earmuffs.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I kinda figure he is done, but hope he will stay in boxing, just because he says whatevr the hell he wants to whenever the hell he wants to.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Wow, thats shocking.

Not really PA. Williams is a great fighter and former Champion. Tyson has been washed up for years. Williams just put the final nail in the coffin thats all.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I guess I was just shocked because I hadn't previously heard of Williams, but apparently he's got some skills. I guess I thought Tyson picked a few easy fights to get back into it but I was obviously wrong.

Still, I doubt we've seen the last of Tyson. :smug:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Still, I doubt we've seen the last of Tyson. :smug:

We all know you speak the truth, man...

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
*claps*

Did I really want to see the Tyson saga have a happy ending wherein he wins some easy fights and makes the money to pay back his debtors?

No.

I wanted him to fail. I wanted him to taste floormat and have his career end with a pitiful whimper, with him in serious debt. Because hes finally getting whats coming to him, "New Mike" or not.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I think this sums it up...........

TRD

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Big shock...I know Williams has won a few fights and he did look pretty good before he got beat awhile back to samil sam (i think). I never thought he would win and what a big scalp he just took. I guess this is the end of the road for Tyson now. Where does Williams go from here? Has this just kick-started his career again?

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Probably no tthe end of the road, as PA mentioned earlier, he is under contract for the next few years,, I found the link to the thread here .

Thanks Ocelot , for keeping us up to date!

TRD

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
Probably no tthe end of the road, as PA mentioned earlier, he is under contract for the next few years,, I found the link to the thread here .

Thanks Ocelot , for keeping us up to date!

He may be under contact but who will want to fight him now?

He got knocked out by a virtual no-body in the Boxing Rankings. Williams may have been a decent fighter himself a while back but it's the boxers in the top 10 rankings that will get you a better fight purse. None of the top fighters will want to fight tyson now. If he doesn't get a few wins the pay days are going to be very little, unless people want to go see Tyson getting knocked out. He is washed up, a bum. He is no-where what he was like years ago.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I would pay a reasonable amount to watch a fight if there was a guaranteed knockout of Tyson at any point during the match.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cannon
I would pay a reasonable amount to watch a fight if there was a guaranteed knockout of Tyson at any point during the match.

Definately. If he's gonna get knocked out, then I have no problems with paying.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I think people will still pay to see Tyson.

Either for the reason Cannon mentioned or for the simple reason that when Tyson fights there is always a "circus-like" atmosphere. It's never just a boxing match, usually the hype ends up being more than tha actual bout but for some reason people are interested.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
gosh....he might even have to join the real world and get a job to pay off his overspending lifestyle....

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Man, I wonder who'd hire him with that rap sheet. Not too sure what he'd be good at, maybe a bouncer or security guard.

I'd be afraid if I fired him that he'd bite my ear off.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join