It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Warren makes Harris offer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Promoter Frank Warren has stepped up his bid to land Briton Ricky Hatton a WBA light-welterweight challenge.

Following a financial disagreement, Warren offered to meet champion Vivian Harris' demands for a 2 October fight, making up a £120,000 shortfall himself.

"Is Harris worth that kind of money? - No he is not. But we are trying to make the fight for Hatton," said Warren.

"If he's got the back bone, stop the talk, agree it today, and come October we will find out who is the best."

Warren added that if Harris - who is scheduled to meet Oktay Urkal for half of £400,000 purse he is offering - did not take the fight, he would dub him a coward.

"I have never said that about a boxer, that's how strongly I feel about it," he said.

"If he wants to prove us wrong, all he's got to do is jump on a plane and show us in October.

"I'm in the Ricky Hatton business. He's a super kid, a super fighter, and I'm willing to put our money where my mouth is."

Hatton had started to voice his concern at the lack of top-class opponents he was being asked to face.

Story from BBC SPORT:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2004/07/30 12:21:12 GMT

© BBC MMIV

join