It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Tarver challenges Calzaghe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
WBC light heavyweight champion Antonio Tarver says he will give Joe Calzaghe a shot at his title - if the Welshman makes an offer he cannot refuse.

Calzaghe's camp recently reopened talks with Tarver, who says he will even come to Wales if the money is right.

"If Calzaghe and his people can respect me as the champion I am and make a deal that's worth my time, I'm willing to entertain that," Tarver told BBC Sport.

"Anything less than that and I have to move on to bigger and better things.

"It's up to them how badly they want it and if they're willing to put their money behind their mouths."

Unbeaten WBO super middleweight champion Calzaghe wants to step up a weight division after being frustrated at the lack of quality and willing opponents.

His scheduled debut at light heavyweight against Glen Johnson in July was cancelled because of injury, but he sees a fight against Tarver as perfect way to enhance his reputation.

Tarver has become one of boxing's hottest properties since he stopped Roy Jones Jr - previously thought the best pound for pound fighter in the world - to win the WBC light heavyweight title in May.

Heavyweights such as Mike Tyson and James Toney are lining up to take a shot at Tarver's title, but the American said a fight with Calzaghe is an attractive proposition.

"Calzaghe is a respected name in the business," Tarver added. "You don't go undefeated as long as he has if you're not a good fighter.

"A lot of people have questioned his opposition, but that's not for me to decide. The guy comes with a credible record.

"He's proven to be a good fighter. When you knock out Charles Brewer and guys of that stature you've got be considered a serious threat in nay weight class.

"So I respect him as a fighter and as a champion. I think he would be a quality opponent if we ever got together."

Tune in to the Back Page on BBC Radio Wales (93-104 FM, 882 and 657 AM) on Saturday, 31 July to here the full interview with Antonio Tarver

Story from BBC SPORT:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2004/07/30 11:09:34 GMT

© BBC MMIV

new topics

join