It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Ex-Ray Mcgriff Works Out For Yanks

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Three days after being released by Tampa Bay, Fred McGriff worked out Wednesday for the New York Yankees, the team that launched his career 23 years ago.

The Devil Rays designated the 40-year-old first baseman for assignment on July 17 after he hit .181 with two homers and seven RBI in 27 games. Seven homers shy of 500, McGriff is eager for another chance to reach the milestone this season.

"I hope so," McGriff said. "We'll see. I'm just working out, taking ground balls and hitting a little bit."

McGriff was taken in the 1981 amateur draft by the Yankees, but was traded to Toronto the following year. Now it appears his career has taken him full circle.

"It would be awesome," McGriff said about the possibility of joining the Yankees. "You couldn't ask for anything better."

McGriff took batting practice and grounders in front of team officials at the Yankees' minor league complex. New York, the AL East leader, could be in the market for an extra first baseman depending on test results regarding ailing starter Jason Giambi.

Giambi has felt fatigued since early June because of an intestinal parasite. Yankees manager Joe Torre has said the team will know more about Giambi's status later this week. Tony Clark has started at first in place of Giambi, who left the team for additional tests Monday night.

McGriff signed a minor league contract with Tampa Bay in February, hoping to show enough during spring training that a major league team would give him an opportunity to continue his quest for 500. McGriff didn't begin the season with the Devil Rays, but joined them on May 28 for his second stint with the team.

"You always got to prove yourself every day," McGriff said. "For 18 years I've had to prove myself, so it's no different."

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
If he is just in it to get the 500 homers, then he doesn't deserve to be playing.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Not to mention another shot at a world series.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I dont think the Yankees would bring him in just to get him a milestone. I think they are looking for insurance in case Giambi is unable to return from his mysterious illness. They have Tony Clark playing for Giambi now, so even if they took on McGriff he would be a bench player. I doubt he would hit 7 homers pinch-hitting.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I didn't realise that he was that old.

Why did the D-Rays release him in the first place. He was like the best player on his team.

TRD

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
PA your right they are looking at him as Giambi may miss the rest of the season. I guess it's not a bad pick up, being he is a free agent or whatever you call them.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Yeah, put that way, this move makes sense. D@mn Yankees!

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
They can probably do a lot better than McGriff for a reserve role...

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cannon
They can probably do a lot better than McGriff for a reserve role...

As a matter of fact they are starting to lean towards John Olerud if Giambi is unable to return soon. They are awaiting his latest test results which were supposed to be available today.

new topics

top topics

join