It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

XM8 and FN2000

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
Yes, very nice, I do not know why so many people are against using plastic when it comes to metal weapons, maybe plastic can actually help the weapon.

Shattered OUT...

yeah but doesnt plastic have lower levels of durabilitly and strength etc.. than metal?

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
yeah but doesnt plastic have lower levels of durabilitly and strength etc.. than metal?

No. Look at the stuff best planes are made of. From bulletproof vests to rifles to sailboats to condoms... Plastics rule

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

No. Look at the stuff best planes are made of.

metal..........well they are........ok it depends which one.

From bulletproof vests to rifles to sailboats to condoms... Plastics rule

sail boats made of plastic? you meaning GRP or just the normal plastic ones you see floating around like toppers?
bullet proof vests are made of plastic? i thought it was kevlar.

[edit on 25-10-2004 by devilwasp]

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
bullet proof vests are made of plastic? i thought it was kevlar.

Kevlar is plastic

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
devilwasp I think it really depends on what type of stress the metal or plastic will be under. Gun barrels under very high pressure are always going to be made of metal for the near future just like the XM-8. The OICW even has its 20mm barrel is made of titanium. Thats a metal not often used as rifling titanium is a pain.

But for parts like the stock, clip, grips it really not smart to make those metal. Plastic on those parts are so much better then using metal.

Its not like using plastic on guns is new on the XM-8 the glock is mostly made of plastic and I never heard of one of them falling and breaking. The MP-5 uses lots of plastic and I never heard of any problems.

Things to keep a eye on in the future of guns is ceramics and composites things like perhaps carbon fiber very strong stuff. And even carbon nano tubes which will be way stronger then metal.

[edit on 25-10-2004 by ShadowXIX]

[edit on 25-10-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by FULCRUM
Link!

Also,

About FN2000..

Before this i actually thought that this existed only on 'Splinter Cell'..

As i am not 'into' these sci-fi weapons..

splinter cell was such a good game.....
....have you actually played it?

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Yes, Carbon Fiber is one of the most powerful composites available.

It is what a Formula 1 vehicle is made out of, well the cockpit anyways.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
Yes, Carbon Fiber is one of the most powerful composites available.

It is what a Formula 1 vehicle is made out of, well the cockpit anyways.

Shattered OUT...

the carbon fibre canoes i use are pretty weak.
i mean come on when you step in it your foot goes through the canoe and you fall in.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
FIBER GLASS, is probably what your canoe is made of, not carbon fiber. And it comes in different densities and strengths. Carbon fiber is used in aircraft manufacture and in some instances in place of steel or alloys. It is incredibly strong for it's weight.

[edit on 26-10-2004 by almighty_puma]

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Great find mad scientist
That is no doubt in Iraq as evident from the hand in the background. I have to say thats the first I heard of any PMC getting thier hands on a XM-8.

I wonder if they have anyone in the military using the XM-8 or XM-29 yet. I would think it would be a ideal place to test them out in a small scale in real combat.

Those PMCs guys are some crazy guys one of my friends was offered a job buy a company to go over to Iraq. You get a briefcase with $200,000 when you come back from the company that contacted him. They showed him all the death rates/stats. before he signed up and that made him change his mind.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   
is that even an xm-8??? it doesnt look like it does it??

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I HATE those idiotic designs.

Short barrels- less velocity, more noise and more muzzle flash. Muzzle flash ruins night vision and gives away your position.

Ive NEVER liked those plastic guns, they look like they were made by a Matel toy designer on crack. Ive been on H&K's site many times, and while I respect many of their guns such as the USP, I think this one needs improvement to say the least.

Anyone seen that new polymer-cased ammo? Christ, next they will make entire guns out of 100% plastic...

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mindbeyondreality
is that even an xm-8??? it doesnt look like it does it??

I think its a G-36 it does not appear to be a XM-8

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

Is it me or does he also have an M-4 carbine hanging from his neck also the XM-8 does not have a mag in place. He just seems to be posing with it. I suspect his gun is really the M-4 Carbine

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

Every picture has a history attached to it..

"Chris Neidrich of Clearwater was a former Navy SEAL who had worked as a bodyguard since since 1993. He died Saturday in Iraq in a gunbattle."
By VICKIE CHACHERE The Associated Press
Published: Jun 8, 2004

full story here

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 03:37 AM
link   
His gun is def. the Commando. Look at how it's slung. Instant readiness. Plus if he's (was) an ex-Seal then he would choose the weapon he is most familiar with if his life depends on it.
I'd take an M4, wouldn't touch an M16 though. But then what would I know?

Condolences.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The XM8 is made of thick fiberglass like plastic to make it lighter. when droped it does not hit as hard as say a metal rifle because it lacks the weight. Like ShadowXIX said, you drop a metal clip it dents but the plastic clip does not fall as fast or hit as hard so it is not harmed. The XM8 is said to be unjamable, versatile, lightweight, and efficient. I don't like it, I design military equipment and other things. 2 years ago I designed a rifle with a gas system that does not only power rifle's bolt back, but after pushing the blot back it reroutes back into the barrel, reducing ware and tear and making the overall operation smoother, and now the XM8 uses this same system. So I am designing a rifle thats even better than the XM8. It's accurate, lighweight, has reduced recoil and is unjamable. It can not only be completely burried in sand but in mud and water this can be done because when the clip is in it forms a water-tight seal making the chamber inaccesible from any whare but through the barrel. It can also be fired underwater, but must be recocked for each shot since the gas systems cannot push the bolt back correctly underwater. If you drop the clip in mud and get the bullets covered in mud then load the clip every round chambered is automatically cleaned preventing jams. To save precious reloading time it has a special lock that when the clip is empty and you fire your last shot it locks the bolt back so all you have to do is take the empty clip out and put the full clip in. Once the new clip is in the bolt is automatically released so you can immedietly begin fireing again but you can still uncock the rifle for safe storage. It has 3 round burst, full auto, and semi and safe. It can do pretty much all the things the XM8 can do and more. I'm only 15 so I can't make or sell any of my designs but once I can I hope to beat H&K or join them.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Off Topic,

but does anybody have the slightest clue what sort of body armor Chris Neidrich is wearing in those pics? Thanks

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by t1tan19
Off Topic,

but does anybody have the slightest clue what sort of body armor Chris Neidrich is wearing in those pics? Thanks

Standard vest i think.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join