posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 12:57 AM
Unbeaten British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion Matt Skelton has pulled out of Friday's bout with Alfred Cole because of a viral infection.
The Bedford fighter has been unable to train since coming down with the infection last week and withdrew from the fight after seeking medical
The 37-year-old has been told to rest until further notice.
"I am very disappointed that I've been forced to pull out of a fight for the first time in my career," Skelton said.
"But I have listened to the advice given to me by the doctors and my team and realise that this is the best thing to do.
"I was looking forward to this fight against Cole as I saw it as a test to see how I would cope with my first American opponent who has a wealth of
experience behind him.
"My training was going fantastic and then last week I was struck down with the virus which has left me very weak and unable to train.
"As people know I am fanatical about my training and am rarely out of the gym plus I have fought regularly without taking rests in between.
"My immune system was apparently very low which has made me susceptible to viruses that are virulent at this time of the year.
"I will now take a good rest and go on holiday and return to training in full health. I apologise to my fans who were looking forward to see me fight
but I'm sure they will understand."
The headline bout at London's York Hall between Graham Earl and Steve Murray will still go ahead.
It will be Earl's second defence of his British lightweight title.
Story from BBC SPORT:
Published: 2004/07/26 14:38:06 GMT
© BBC MMIV