It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: McCullough calls for action

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Former WBC bantamweight champion Wayne McCullough has admitted he would fight for nothing to get back in the ring.

The 34-year-old Irishman had hoped to come back against John Mackay in June before he injured his hand, and has not fought since losing to Scott Harrison.

"I would fight for free because I only need one bout to prove that my last was totally out of character," he said.

"If everybody knew what I went through before, during and after the Harrison, they would think differently."

"I am not the type of fighter who loses and makes excuses in the post-fight interview," McCullough added.

"But in all honesty I should never have fought Harrison. I am too loyal and I didn't want to let anyone down - even though I nearly killed myself in the process."

McCullough urged promoters to back his return to the ring, despite concerns from some quarters about his health.

"If a promoter is willing to put me on a show I am ready - and if I don't put on a good show then don't pay me.

"I just need someone to give me the chance to get back into the ring and I will prove I can be a world champion again."

Story from BBC SPORT:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2004/07/26 21:28:45 GMT

© BBC MMIV

new topics

join