It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Trinidad, Mayorga verbally spar at Miami news conference

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
MIAMI (AP) - Macho posturing between Felix Trinidad and Ricardo Mayorga began when their fight was announced two months ago and it didn't let up at a joint news conference Monday afternoon.

Mayorga, wearing a business suit and ready with a glove, dared Trinidad to hit him. Trinidad wouldn't bite but responded with fiery talk of inflicting punishment when they fight.

"This is not the place to fight you, besides it is not legal," Trinidad said. "But the advice I'm going to give your corner is to make sure they step inside the ring as soon as possible when we do fight. You are going to get one bad beating and they should help you from avoiding additional harm."

Their fight Oct. 2 in New York will be the first fight after a two-year retirement for the 31-year-old Trinidad, a former welterweight, junior-middleweight and middleweight champion.

Despite a successfully managed career by his father and trainer, Felix Sr., resulting in 40 consecutive victories until a 12th-round knockout loss to Bernard Hopkins in Sept. 2001, Trinidad defied the plans of most top fighters who return after a lengthy absence. Instead of a string of tuneup bouts, Trinidad (41-1, 34 KOs) opted for the bombastic yet dangerous Mayorga (27-4-1, 23 KOs) for his return fight.

"We wanted a big fight right away," Trinidad said. "I've always taken care of myself and I've been used to the tough fights. There was no reason to start with a softer fight.

"I hope he goes through with his promise of sticking out his chin in the first round of our fight. He has not been hit by someone with my power."

Mayorga, a former welterweight champion with consecutive victories over Vernon Forrest last year, is seeking to recapture his form at a higher weight class after losing a close decision to Cory Spinks in a welterweight title unification fight last December. As a result, Mayorga has followed Trinidad to the 160-pound middleweight class.

"I'm going to make this not only the strongest fight of my life but the best fight of my career," Mayorga said. "They think I am the piece of trash they can handle. I'm going to prove Tito wrong. I'm going to retire him a second time."

The winner of the bout at Madison Square Garden could be in line for attractive possibilities. The most appealing match would be against the winner of the Hopkins-Oscar De La Hoya middleweight title fight Sept. 18 in Las Vegas.

"My promoter, Don King, knows the only reason I came back was for the big fights," said Trinidad, who couldn't secure a rematch with Hopkins before leaving the sport in July 2002.

TRD

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This is going to be a great fight and it's building up with all the hype. These two will continue to get at each other. I would love to see Trinidad knock him out but it's going to be a tough fight.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
This is going to be a great fight and it's building up with all the hype. These two will continue to get at each other. I would love to see Trinidad knock him out but it's going to be a tough fight.

It's gonna be a tough fight but Tito has the power to KO Mayorga. So I hope tito wins.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Let's not forget this. I'm sure Tito hasn't:
www.sportztawk.com...

He's only 31? Damn, he's in his prime. Prediction- Mayorga sleeps in the 6th. Fight ends and Ricardo is feeling like

new topics

top topics

join