It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Bobcats sign first-round pick Okafor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
CHARLOTTE -- The Charlotte Bobcats Monday signed first-round pick Emeka Okafor to a multi-year contract. As per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed, but under the rookie salary scale, Okafor will make at least $10.05 million over three years with a fourth-year option.

Okafor, who was chosen with the second overall pick in the 2004 NBA Draft, became the first player ever selected by the expansion Bobcats.

"We are happy to have Emeka signed to a contract and ready to play basketball," general manager and head coach Bernie Bickerstaff said. "He is a fine young man and we are proud to have him represent our franchise and our country, both on and off the court." Charlotte, which was originally slated to pick fourth, moved up to second in the NBA Draft after trading the fourth and 33rd selections to the Los Angeles Clippers and agreeing to take Predrag Drobnjak in the expansion draft.

Okafor, a 6-11 center, led the University of Connecticut to the NCAA championship in April and was named the Most Outstanding Player at the Final Four after scoring 24 points and grabbing 15 rebounds in the national championship game against Georgia Tech.

source

CBS

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I think Okafor will do well in the NBA, he has all the tools and the intangibles. I'm still shocked he wasn't the first pick.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
How 'bout it? He's the kind of player Charlotte needs to build around, though.

Ben

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
He is a type of player whom you can build around, i also like him a lot for the fact that he did stick around a bit longer, you really dont see that now and days.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
And he graduated with a double major, with nearly a 4.0, I beleive.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Yeah he seems like a good kid with a decent head on his shoulders, he should have success at the next level.

top topics

join