It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: SOCCER: Referee wanted for shooting coach, players

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
KENTON-ON-SEA, South Africa (AP) - Police were searching Monday for a referee accused of fatally shooting a coach on the field in a dispute during a weekend soccer game.

Two players from the visiting Marcelle team were injured during the attack Saturday in the Eastern Cape coastal town of Kenton-on-Sea, police spokeswoman Mali Govender said. She declined to identify the suspect or the victims.

"The referee awarded a penalty against the visiting team during a friendly match and then players stormed the field," Govender said. "It looks as if the referee had the firearm on his person and fired at the players first before hitting the coach in the chest."

The coach from Ekuphumuleni died at the scene, she said. The referee fled.

One player was treated at the scene and a second was admitted to the hospital with a gunshot wound in the hand. He was listed in stable condition Monday.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I didn't know referees could carry guns. But then again what would you do if you were in that position ? If the ref kept his cool FIFA could've penalized the visiting team for interference and disorderly conduct.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
So why does a ref need a gun on the field???

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
You know you are stupid when you shoot a guy over a penalty kick.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Amen brother, Amen!

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Oh man that's f##king funny. I heard a similar story once a few years back, boy our premiership refs are pussies.

TRD

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I did laugh when i read it, i guess its South Africa so anything could happen over there. I saw a program once and people pulled out guns in broad daylight to rob a driver in the street in front of loads of people so i guess anything is possible.

Also i've seen football matches from other country's where bad things have happened. One was when a player argued with the ref about a decision and the ref turned round and punched the player and put him down on his azz. Some of the other players chased the ref and it looked like they wanted to kill him. The ref escaped by climbing a fence.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
The ref escaped by climbing a fence.

LOL! We shoiuld try that in Big 10 football...

new topics

top topics

join