It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Tyson plays it cool

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Mike Tyson has warned British heavyweight Danny Williams to get his head straight before stepping into the ring with him in Kentucky on 30 July.

Speaking in a training break, the 38-year-old American reacted to news that Williams had been known to lose focus.

"He'd better get it right on the night or he's going to be in an awful lot of trouble," said the former champion.

"I may be a fool, but I'm not a damned fool. I have not come back to boxing to get obliterated," Tyson added.

Williams, meanwhile, dismissed fears that he would not be adequately prepared.

"When I heard I had got the Tyson fight it felt like Christmas and my birthday both at the same time.

"I've been running like never before and pushing my lungs further than ever. I've been sparring some really tough sparring partners.

"I will be 100% focused. You have got to remember how big an opportunity this fight is for me."

The 31-year-old continued to talk up his chances ahead of the Louisville bout.

"Obviously Mike Tyson is not the fighter he used to be - he has been out of the ring for 16 to 17 months and I believe I am going to take him out."

And Williams, who has been made a big underdog. believes the weight of expectation lifted from his shoulders will help him rise to the challenge.

"You must remember that for many of my fights in England I am favourite and I am never performing at the highest level.

"The guys I am boxing are raising their game to fight me and I am bringing my game down to them.

"This time, for the first time, I will actually fight somebody who is rated above me and everyone thinks he is going to knock me out."

Story from BBC SPORT:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2004/07/25 09:33:50 GMT

© BBC MMIV

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This will be very interesting... I predict a Danny Williams victory. Williams is 6'3'' compared to Tysons 5'10''. We saw it with Lewis' victory, obviously a repeat is in the works. Tyson even said after the Lewis fight that he couldn't close the distance. Will Tyson close the distance between himself and Williams. Not likely, Tyson ranks Williams as an underdog. Tyson has nothing to prove fighting Williams. To him Williams is just a preliminary bout to a Lewis re-match.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
This will be very interesting... I predict a Danny Williams victory.

Nice call websurfer, almost a week ago!

:bounce:

Originally posted by Ocelot
Mike Tyson has warned British heavyweight Danny Williams to get his head straight before stepping into the ring with him in Kentucky on 30 July.

"He'd better get it right on the night or he's going to be in an awful lot of trouble," said the former champion.

"I may be a fool, but I'm not a damned fool. I have not come back to boxing to get obliterated," Tyson added.

I didnt see the fight, but it almost sounds like he did obliterated.

new topics

join