It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Eckersley, Molitor Inducted Into Hall

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. - Paul Molitor and Dennis Eckersley didn't have to wait long for baseball's biggest honor. Both were inducted into the Hall of Fame on Sunday after getting elected in their first year of eligibility.

It marks the sixth time, since the inaugural group in 1936, that multiple first-year candidates were elected. Most recently, Kirby Puckett and Dave Winfield were inducted in 2001.

Eckersley, 49, saved 390 games after being converted to a reliever in 1987. A recovering alcoholic, he spent 30 days in rehab following the 1986 season before the Chicago Cubs dealt him to hometown Oakland in April of '87. In rehabilitation he accepted his addiction, embraced a 12-step program and says he's been sober since.

A seven-time All-Star, Molitor played with the Milwaukee Brewers from 1972-92 and is the first player elected to play more games as a DH than any other position. Molitor had 3,319 hits - the ninth-highest total in major league history. He also was a tremendous clutch hitter with a .368 batting average, six home runs, 22 RBI and 28 runs scored in 29 postseason games.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Two very deserving players, no doubt.

I know I'm getting old when all the players I watched growing up, and whose baseball cards I used to kill for, are being inducted into the Hall of Fame.

join