It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Gatti KOs Dorin with body blow to keep belt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) -- No bloody shorts? No broken hand? No down-to-the-wire finish? This wasn't a typical Arturo Gatti fight.

Defending his WBC 140-pound title for the first time, Gatti knocked out top-ranked challenger Leonard Dorin in the second round Saturday and avoided the kind of slugfest that has defined his career.

"It's great to get out of here early," said Gatti, who won the title six months ago.

Gatti (38-6), who is known for leading with his face but winning with his heart, didn't have to do either en route to a quick $1.75 million payday.

Holding the shorter Dorin (21-1-1) at bay with left jabs and keeping active to avoid protracted exchanges, he dominated the first round and most of the second.

In between, trainer Buddy McGirt reminded him of what they'd worked on in training camp -- using body shots that would take advantage of his six-inch reach advantage.

"I told him to forget the head and look downstairs," said McGirt, who took over as Gatti's trainer after his disappointing 2001 loss to Oscar De La Hoya.

Gatti, 32, obliged. In the second, he unleashed a left-right-left combination to Dorin's head, then wound up and delivered a crushing left hook to the body that nearly lifted the 5-foot-4 Dorin off his feet.

Dorin fell to his right knee, then to both as referee Randy Neumann stepped in and counted him out at 2:55 of the round, Gatti leaping into the arms of manager Pat Lynch in celebration.

"I knew he would leave the body open," Gatti said of Dorin. "Once he went down, I knew it was over."

Ringside physician Dr. Kenneth Remsen said the punch took Dorin's breath away and caused his stomach to spasm. He may have broken a rib, Remsen said.

But Gatti, who broke his right hand in his two previous fights, came away without a mark.

Dorin, whose only previous blemish in a six-year professional career came in a 2003 draw with IBF lightweight champion Paul Spadafora, had proclaimed himself the speedier fighter earlier in the week.

But he was nothing of the sort Saturday, missing on several wild punches in the first round, including a right just before the bell that he threw so hard, he lost his balance and fall face-first into the ropes.

Gatti, who's been rehabilitated from his toe-to-toe tendencies by McGirt, controlled the tempo from the start and denied the partisan crowd of 11,863 in Boardwalk Hall the brawl they came to see.

"It was the first time in my life I got hit in the body and went down," said Dorin.

Gatti, who won the title Jan. 24 in a unanimous decision over Gianluca Branco, said he hoped to take on either Floyd Mayweather, Jr., or Spadafora in his next defense.

"Mayweather, I want you as much as you want me," Gatti said.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

[Edited on 24-7-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
God I love a fighter that uses the body. Everybody headhunts these days. I blame Tyson. I also blame him for the federal deficeit.
Don't know if he can handle Mayweather though.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by truenorth
God I love a fighter that uses the body. Everybody headhunts these days. I blame Tyson. I also blame him for the federal deficeit.
Don't know if he can handle Mayweather though.

It was a great fight. I watched it with my girlfriend and I was suprised it ended so quickly. It was a beautiful loaded left hand right under the rib cage that KO'd Dorin. He wasn't going to get up after that one.

As for Gatti/Mayweather? That would be fight of the year.

new topics

join