posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 10:59 PM
MIAMI (AP) -- Former cruiserweight champion Juan Carlos Gomez and Sugar Ray Leonard Boxing have agreed to resolve their disagreement over fight
contracts, attorneys said Thursday.
Gomez, 30, claimed in a lawsuit two weeks ago that Sugar Ray Leonard Boxing and two other defendants were keeping him from "making a living" by
insisting they still have a valid contract to promote him.
Attorneys for both sides said the matter had been resolved. With both parties' permission, U.S. District Judge K. Michael Moore issued an order
preventing the promoters from interfering in Gomez's career.
Gomez, a native of Cuba, had sought at least $2 million in damages in the suit against Leonard's company, along with Team Freedom Promotions and its
founder Leon Margules.
No money changed hands in the agreement, said Howard Weitzman, a Los Angeles attorney for Sugar Ray Leonard Boxing.
Gomez (37-0, 31 KOs) is ranked No. 4 in the heavyweight division by the WBC and No. 7 by the IBF. He has not fought since beating Sinan Samil Sam in a
10-round cruiserweight fight last Sept. 27. It was his only fight since signing with the promoting group in April 2003, according to the lawsuit.
Gomez won more than 250 amateur fights for Cuba before defecting to Germany and turning pro in 1995. He won the WBC cruiserweight belt in February
1998, beating Argentina's Marcelo Dominguez, and defended his title 10 times before vacating it, moving up in weight and signing with Leonard.
Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved.