It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: MLB News and Rumors 23/07/04

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Pirates want more for Benson
Newark Star-Ledger

"While the Mets are ready to give up Ty Wigginton and Double-A pitching prospect Matt Peterson in a trade for Pittsburgh starter Kris Benson, it may not be enough. Right now, the Pirates are favoring a deal with the Twins over the Mets, according to a major-league official who has discussed the Benson scenario with the Pirates."

Orioles could make bid for Zito
Baltimore Sun

The Sun's Joe Christensen reports that the Orioles may begin shopping closer Jorge Julio. The Orioles could try to swap Julio and second baseman Brian Roberts for A's pitcher Barry Zito.

Will Marlins choose Walker over Finley?
Palm Beach Post

The Post's Tom D'Angelo reports that the Marlins have been scouting Rockies' outfielder Larry Walker and that at least one scout believes that he would be a better fit in Miami than the Diamondbacks' Steve Finley.

Finley wants to stay in center
Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel

The Sun-Sentinel's Juan C. Rodriguez reports that the Marlins may have to move center fielder Juan Pierre to left field if they deal for Steve Finley. Finely says that he "wouldn't approve a deal that wouldn't have me playing center field".

Mets' offer may not be good enough to land Benson
Newark Star-Ledger

The Star-Ledger's David Waldstein reports that the Pirates have yet to bite on the Mets' offer of Ty Wigginton and prospect Matt Peterson for Kris Benson. The Pirates may elect to ship Benson to Minnesota for a package deal that includes Michael Restovich instead.

Dodgers may need Beltran more than pitching
Los Angeles Daily News

The Daily News' Tony Jackson reports that the Dodgers are more likely to pursue Carlos Beltran than Randy Johnson or Kris Benson.

Colorado's Walker Marlins' top target
Palm Beach Post

"The Marlins' main interest in the trade market appears to be shifting to Larry Walker, and one scout said the Rockies right fielder would be a better fit than Arizona's Steve Finley."

News and Rumors sources

Fox Sports

Pro Sports Daily

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
giambi tests rule out cancer

Although all of the results aren't in yet, tests on Jason Giambi ruled
out cancer and he is expected to be able to play today.

TRD

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I thought he wouldn't play for a few days yet.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
don't have any idea, maybe they found something in the test results that have come back????? seems odd that in this day and age they can't seem to find out what is wrong with him, the good news is that it isn't cancer

TRD

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Yeah that is good news.

Thing is i just read that he has been cleared to play but wouldn't it be better to rest him up?

This intestinal parasite thing he has got has left him fatigued.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
did they ever definatly decide that he had parasites? one of his teammates had parasites as well, maybe they treated the little bugs and feel that he has had enough rest.....HEY BEN....where would 2 yankees go in nyc to get parasites..lol

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
SCOUTING VILLONE: The Philadelphia Phillies have had a scout in the stands the past few times Ron Villone has taken the mound.

Tonight against the Anaheim Angels probably will be no different. Villone, who has spent most of the season in left-handed relief for Seattle, will make his third start of the season.

The Phillies are looking for one more starter and for a reliever, and Villone could fit either roll. In addition to his starts this year, he started 19 times last year for Houston and has made 34 relief appearances this season.

The Phillies have made a run at the Pirates' Kris Benson, but they were rebuffed when they offered Class AA Redding first baseman Ryan Howard. A slugger with 36 homers and 96 RBIs coming into play yesterday, Howard is backed up in the Phillies' system with veteran Jim Thome signed to a long-term deal.

Philadelphia also has offered Howard to Tampa Bay for outfielder Rocco Baldelli without getting a nibble. It's not clear if the Phillies would be willing to include Howard in a deal for Villone, who is 3-2 with a 3.13 ERA in 36 games

this would be a good deal if it goes through for the mariners, since they released john olerud they need a first baseman, this kid sounds like he could add some punch to the lineup...i hope they get him

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I hate to see them trade Howard, but as you said he is stuck with Thome at first base for the next however many years. I just hope they get some value in return for him. The player I want to see come to Philly is Steve Finley to lock up that CF position.

So is Villone a decent pitcher? I dont know much about him, I see he's comfortable starting or out of the bullpen.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Looks like Villone pitched pretty well tonight, he left after 5 2/3 innings with the lead and only having given up 2 runs on 6 hits while striking out 5.

The Seattle bullpen has blew another lead though and Villone will get a no-decision. Seattle was up 2-1 when he got the hook and now they're trailing Anaheim 7-3 in the top of the 7th.

new topics

top topics

join