It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Raiders release Robbins

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Alameda, CA (Sports Network) - The Oakland Raiders have released Barret Robbins after the center failed a physical.

Robbins made headlines prior to the Raiders' appearance in the Super Bowl in 2003 when he went AWOL the day before the game and was later deactivated.

The nine-year pro started 105 games as the anchor for the offensive line and was named to his first Pro Bowl following the 2002 season.

"Barret has been a valuable member of the Raider organization and has been an integral part of the success of the Silver and Black," said head coach Norv Turner. "He has kept the Raiders' tradition of great centers alive and we wish him well in his future endeavors."

Robbins was fined three game checks by the league last Wednesday for testing positive for the steroid THG. He was also placed on "reasonable-cause testing" for the remainder of his career, meaning that if he tests positive for steroid use again, the penalty will be eight games.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Rules are rules, whether they are league rules or team rules. You break them, byebye. Man can't these guys get it. They are paid extremely well to do what they love. Why screw that up?

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
WOW...talk about a liberal drug policy, the ones in major league sports take the cake....how many chances and opportunity's does it take to get the point across to them? i bet that someone will still sign this guy even with all the baggage

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by toejam i bet that someone will still sign this guy even with all the baggage

That is the problem. They will still make the coin somewhere else. If Greene had just cut a talented Moss loose, and nobody picked him up, it would have sent a message. DON'T NEED YOU! This is worse in basketball, where they are throwing big money at teens. That is only going to get worse.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Yeah, this is the never ending story in all of sports anymore.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
You would have thought this guy would have got the hint after he missed the Super Bowl because he was out partying.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I thought he said it was chronic depression...

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Hmm, I thought he was found in a drug stupor, let me check.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
" Everybody was doing shots of tequila. B-Robb was buying rounds for everybody and it was pretty crazy." ..... He declines to specify the location of Robbins' drinking binge."

Four Raiders teammates, speaking on the condition of anonymity, later say Robbins spent at least part of Saturday drinking in Tijuana, Mexico.

Two Raiders fans and a bar worker see Robbins at Moon Doggy's, a bar in Pacific Beach, early Saturday night. Robbins is sitting in a booth by himself in the back of the bar. He is crying at one point.

Robbins arrives at the Raiders' team hotel. "He was disoriented and shaky. He looked terrible," a Raiders player says later.

A team source says Robbins is suffering from alcohol poisoning after drinking too much Saturday.

espn.go.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Oh, my bad, friggin drunk bastard!

Oh, shyte, that's what people say about me, too

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I cant imagine missing the biggest game of my life for some tequilia. He had problems before this, it was really bad timing for him. Alot of his teammates refused to ever play with him again saying that he abandoned them when they needed him. Looks like he is still on a bad path after this latest incident.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Yeah, it'sa shame that some people waste thier talent like this.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
Yeah, it'sa shame that some people waste thier talent like this.

And you would think people would learn from other's mistakes.

www.sportztawk.com...

top topics

join