It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Newz Forum: SOCCER: Football News and Rumors (2nd Edition) 23/07/04

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
El-Hadji Diouf's Liverpool career looks as good as over after he was left out of the squad which leaves for a three-match tour of the United States on Saturday. The Senegal striker has not been given a squad number for the new campaign by boss Rafael Benitez new boy Djibril Cisse now wearing the number nine shirt Diouf wore last season and it seems certain the 10million misfit has no future at Anfield.
 

He has been a major let down after joining Liverpool from Lens just after the 2002 World Cup and former boss Gerard Houllier recently described Diouf as the biggest disappointment of his time at the club. Benitez dropped a big hint about Diouf's future earlier this week when he revealed he had only spoken to three players about their futures since arriving. One, Markus Babbel, has already joined Stuttgart, while full back Gregory Vignal, on loan in Spain last term, was another. The third was Diouf, whose on and off-field behaviour eventually cost him the backing of Houllier.

Fulham will complete the signing of Canadian international Tomasz Radzinski from Everton when he completes a medical. The 31-year-old has signed a three-year deal for an undisclosed fee. Fulham manager Chris Coleman said: "This has been a great two weeks for the club in terms of player activity and both Steve (Kean) and I are delighted that we have secured the services of three fine additions to our current squad in Andy Cole, Claus Jensen and now Tomasz."

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright is set to hold further discussions with Wayne Rooney's agent Paul Stretford in a bid to get the England star to sign an improved contract. The teenager has become one of football's hottest properties after his performances at Euro 2004 with Chelsea and Manchester United reportedly interested in the 30million-rated striker. Rooney has been offered a vastly-improved new five-year deal worth an estimated 12million but has stalled over agreeing terms as he has been away on holiday after his exploits with the international team.

Manchester United's Uruguayan striker Diego Forlan is hoping to land a move to Atletico Madrid. Forlan, who helped his country reach the semi-final of the Copa America before crashing out to Brazil on penalties, has failed to make his mark in England and would welcome the chance to resurrect his career in the Primera Liga. "Of course I would love to play for Atletico Madrid," he told Marca. "I know they have a loyal support and I have talked to my companions who have played there and they tell me that once you have been there, nobody wants to leave." Forlan admitted it is not the first time he has been linked with the Spanish outfit and he is flattered that they have kept tabs on him.

Bolton boss Sam Allardyce hopes to bolster his defence before the start of the season with a double swoop for Brazilian Julio Cesar and Israeli Tal Ben Hiam. Cesar, the former Real Madrid centre-back, and Hiam, out of contract at Maccabi Tel Aviv, have both impressed at a training camp in Portugal. With French defender Florent Laville facing three months on the sidelines after the recurrence of a knee problem, Allardyce needs to bolster his backline.

West Ham's chances of signing Ukrainian striker Sergei Rebrov have improved after Tottenham confirmed the player they bought four years ago for 11million is now a free agent. It means that the Hammers, with whom Rebrov is currently training, can sign him without paying a fee and now have only to negotiate his personal terms plus work permit and international clearance if manager Alan Pardew decides to go ahead with a deal.

Aston Villa striker Juan Pablo Angel could miss the start of the season as he is taking longer than expected to recover from a knee operation. The Colombian, who last week signed a new four-year deal with the club, had surgery during the summer but his rehabilitation is not progressing at the speed manager David O'Leary would wish.

West Ham have rejected a bid for Marlon Harewood and Michael Carrick from Premiership new boys Crystal Palace. The Hammers' website revealed that the 2.5million offer for Carrick was not deemed enough for the ex-England midfielder. The 1million bid for Harewood has been "categorically" rejected because the striker is very much part of manager Alan Pardew's plans for next season. And managing director Paul Aldridge also accused Palace of trying to unsettle the player.

Liverpool have warned Barcelona that they will not be able to prise defender Sami Hyypia away from Anfield. The Spanish giants are reportedly interested in the Finland international after failing to sign Gabriel Milito from Real Zaragoza.

News and Rumors sources

BBC Sport

Sporting Life




new topics
 
0

log in

join