It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Eddie George is now a Cowboy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
IRVING, Texas (AP) - Eddie George agreed to a contract with the Dallas Cowboys on Friday, just two days after being released by the Tennessee Titans, according to a team source.

George's deal was pending a physical, the source told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. George was expected to sign for a base salary near the $1.5 million Tennessee had been offering, but with many reachable incentives that could take him closer to the $4.25 million he had been expecting to make with the Titans.

George was cut Wednesday, at his request, after he rejected Tennessee’s final bid. He left the Titans after eight seasons and more than 10,000 yards. George's only free-agent visit was to Dallas. Negotiations moved so quickly because the relationship works well for both sides.

The Cowboys had plenty of room under the salary cap and, a week before opening training camp, they were still looking for a veteran running back to ease the burden on Julius Jones, a second-round pick from Notre Dame who was expected to be the starter. Regardless of who starts, both will get plenty of carries. The better George does and the Cowboys are certainly hoping his competitive nature and desire to prove he's still an elite runner will draw out his best the more slowly they can bring along Jones.

Although George has never missed a game in his 128-game career, he's been slowed by injuries typical for someone who's averaged 21.4 carries per game. He turns 31 in September. The pounding has reduced his effectiveness. After averaging 3.9 yards per carry his first five seasons, he's been at 3.2 over the last three seasons. He was at 3.3 last year, when he gained 1,031 yards and topped the 10,000-yard mark for his career.

George's 2003 numbers are similar to what Troy Hambrick produced last season when he underwhelmingly replaced Emmitt Smith. Hambrick has since been released. The difference is that the Cowboys believe George can still be valuable if used properly, especially as the lead back in short-yardage and goal-line situations. He scored 12 touchdowns two seasons ago. George also has averaged 8.3 yards on two receptions per game for his career.

While Cowboys coach Bill Parcells is very high on Jones, he also values proven veterans such as George. George provides other qualities Parcells values: the willingness to play hurt, good size for his position (6-foot-3, 235 pounds) and good hands (one lost fumble the last two seasons). By signing someone of George's age and experience, the Cowboys are seemingly reversing field from last offseason, when they cut Smith. Other factors influenced that decision, such as the salary and George knowing he'll be sharing time and mentoring Jones.

George also is returning to the state where his career began. The former Heisman Trophy winner at Ohio State played his rookie season, 1996, in Houston before the franchise moved to Tennessee. George probably will be able to keep the No. 27 he's worn his entire career as it currently belongs to rookie cornerback Bruce Thornton.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Definitely good news for us Cowboy fans.

He wont be the featured back, he'll be sharing carries with Jones and helping him with his transition to the NFL. He should bring alot of veteran leadership to the lockerroom and hopefully his work ethic rubs off too on the younger players.

This is like the 4th Eddie George thread.

TRD

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Yeah good news that he signed a deal.

4th thread? well this is news, different articles.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
good taste proudamerican. us cowboys fans rock. i think he'll have a surprisingly good season this year that no one will expect. hopefully its enough to get us another superbowl ring

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
All of the sudden I'm pretty happy with the backfield in Big D with Eddie George and rookie Julius Jones along with Parcells pet Richie Anderson at fullback.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I can't see how you see this as a good thing...

Oh, that's right, you're blinded by the fact you're a cowboys fan...

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

I cant see how you cant see why I think this was a great move for the Cowboys, other than you being a Skins fan.

He isn't going to be the featured back, he will help Jones learn the ways of the NFL and if it's 3rd and short, who do you think is getting the ball?

It wont hurt them, he can only help and they had plenty of room under the cap. If he doesnt work out, they lose nothing.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican

I cant see how you cant see why I think this was a great move

I said a good thing. Obviously, as a Skins fan, it's not. All depends on your perspective.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
OK, I misunderstood ya Gibbs.

We're gonna have some great battles this year in the NFC East!

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Yeah, I can't wait until we spank you boyz around

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
u wish! didnt u ever pay attention in history class- theyve been fightin forever & look how many of em are livin. cowboys & indians- guns vs. arrows then & now parcells vs. gibbs. sure gibbs is one of the best but the tuna is the best! haha

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by beckman
sure gibbs is one of the best but the tuna is the best! haha

Me thinks you weren't saying that back in the '80's...

We'll have to settle this like men, in front of the TV on Sundays this fall

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
With the Cowboys, Skins, Eagles, and G-Men all making major upgrades recently, every NFC East game will be an all-out war. I'm really looking forward to this season, I really hope the Eagles flop but they are looking really strong on paper. There are alot of questions about Kearse's health but there's no doubt that T.O. makes them a better team.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   

With the Cowboys, Skins, Eagles, and G-Men all making major upgrades recently, every NFC East game will be an all-out war. I'm really looking forward to this season, I really hope the Eagles flop but they are looking really strong on paper. There are alot of questions about Kearse's health but there's no doubt that T.O. makes them a better team.

Makes them LOOK like a better team. I wonder if he'll kep the attitude in check?

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   

I wonder if he'll kep the attitude in check?

I think the only way to do that is to throw him the ball every down and you know that wont happen. TO will find out that Andy Reid likes to run the ball alot and throws alot of screens out of the backfield. I can see him now huffing and puffing on the way back to the huddle after running a long route only to have McNabb dump it 4 yards to the fullback.

Back on topic......

The Cowboys had plenty of room under the salary cap and, a week before opening training camp, they were still looking for a veteran running back to ease the burden on Julius Jones, a second-round pick from Notre Dame who was expected to be the starter.

Regardless of who starts, both will get plenty of carries. The better George does -- and the Cowboys are certainly hoping his competitive nature and desire to prove he's still an elite runner will draw out his best -- the slower they can bring along Jones.

The difference is that the Cowboys believe George can still be valuable if used properly, especially as the lead back in short-yardage and goal-line situations. He scored 12 touchdowns two seasons ago. George also has averaged 8.3 yards on two receptions per game for his career.

While Cowboys coach Bill Parcells is very high on Jones, he also values proven veterans such as George. George provides other qualities Parcells values: the willingness to play hurt, good size for his position (6-foot-3, 235 pounds) and good hands (one lost fumble the last two seasons). Maybe that will help him continue his streak of 128 consecutive starts, which is second all-time to Walter Payton's 170.

sports.espn.go.com...

I really like the Eddie George experiment and I think it will prove to be successful and will help Juluis Jones become a better player for years to come.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   

George provides other qualities Parcells values: the willingness to play hurt, good size for his position (6-foot-3, 235 pounds) and good hands (one lost fumble the last two seasons). Maybe that will help him continue his streak of 128 consecutive starts, which is second all-time to Walter Payton's 170.

Eddie will definitly help the Cowboys this year. Dallas made the playoffs last year and made alot of offseason moves to get better, look out NFC.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Yeah, ya gotta like adding Eddie George, Keyshawn Johnson, Marcellus Wiley, Vinny Testaverde, and Dedric Ward. Julius Jones has alot of potential as well as Drew Henson. Dallas will definitely be competitive this year, I see Parcells getting him into the playoffs again. It's going to be a super-tough division this year!

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Yeah, ya gotta like adding Eddie George, Keyshawn Johnson, Marcellus Wiley, Vinny Testaverde, and Dedric Ward. Julius Jones has alot of potential as well as Drew Henson. Dallas will definitely be competitive this year, I see Parcells getting him into the playoffs again. It's going to be a super-tough division this year!

Not so fast, my friend, this division is too tough to just give any team a spot in the playoffs. There's gonna be a lot of head smackin goin on in here! And there may be only 1 team that makes it out of this division alive. There are no givens...

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
George or not, the Skins are gonna win the shootout with the Cowboys.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I'm thinkin' it'll be close, more often than not, the two teams split the regular season series.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join