It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Bye George; Titans release RB

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
NASHVILLE (AP) - Eddie George's career with the Tennessee Titans is over, his agent says. The team granted George's request and released their all-time leading rusher on Wednesday, George's agent Lamont Smith told The Associated Press.

The Titans called a news conference for Wednesday afternoon but did not give any details.

The eight-year veteran asked to be released Monday after rejecting the Titans' last offer to reduce his pay from $4.25 million to approximately $1.5 million for the 2004 season.

He said the offer hasn't changed much since the initial proposal in March.

Speculation over George's future with Tennessee began last season over whether the Titans, in deep salary-cap trouble, could afford to keep the popular running back.

Saying he hoped to retire a Titan, George was optimistic he and the team could find common ground. But he was less enthusiastic after a meeting last week with Titans General Manager Floyd Reese. Talks between Reese and George's agents went nowhere again this week.

He had never missed a start in his career, but the Titans offense has changed and now emphasizes the passing of Steve McNair, the NFL's co-MVP in 2003. Last season, George rushed for 1,031 yards.

George is only the second NFL running back to rush for 10,000 yards while never missing a start, joining Jim Brown. Only Walter Payton (170) has started more consecutive regular-season games than George's 128.

Last December, George became the 17th running back to top 10,000 yards. He has 64 touchdowns for the franchise that drafted the 1995 Heisman Trophy winner out of Ohio State in April 1996. His best season was in 2000, when he carried 403 times for 1,509 yards but he has gone downhill from there, averaging less than 4 yards a carry each season.

Tennessee tried to free up salary-cap space in February by reworking George's deal, which runs through 2006. He declined, and the team paid him a $1 million roster bonus in March.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Truenorth wonders if Eddie likes red and gold?
Wouldn't mind seeing him as a Niner. I always liked the 2 Back system. My favorite tandem was Okoye(sp) and Word. Between the 2, 600 Lbs.

TRD

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I havn't seen any talks as to where he would go, but i bet it won't be long before someone snaps him up.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Just please not the Raiders!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Wouldn't mind seeing him in the blue and silver with a big star on the side of his head.

The Cowboys have already penciled in Julius Jones, their top draft pick, to the starting running back position but it couldn't hurt for him to share the backfield with an experienced, hard working veteran back like Eddie.

TRD

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
PA i did read that the cowboys were interested in him. I don't know if they will push it to get him though.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I'd like to see Eddie in Big D.

From TRD's NFL rumors thread....

George may be bad fit for Cowboys
Fort Worth Star-Telegram

The Star-Telegram's Jennifer Floyd Engel reports that the Cowboys may pass on signing former Titans running back Eddie George for fear that he would impede the progress of rookie Julius Jones.

www.sportztawk.com...

Edited to add link.

[Edited on 7-22-2004 by ProudAmerican]

TRD

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
He he...hrmm you never posted the link to the thread...lol

Well it looks like they have gave it some serious thought. I would have thought it would be good to get him for the experienced player he is.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD

I would have thought it would be good to get him for the experienced player he is.

Right, not necessarily to replace Jones but to help him along. For the same reason that Parcells got Testaverde to back up Quincy.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
www.sportztawk.com...

Or maybe they will.

Badstards!

top topics

join