It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smart people talking in this thread...be warned

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I fail to see how you can live in the west and live a comfortable modern life and attack the US going into Iraq?

We are all the hypocrites.

If you want justice then be prepared to give up what you have, because the injustices in the world do not start or stop at Baghdad.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Dude, you really need to lay off. You take so much offense to people who just may merely be misled. Why take it so personally? It is like you want people banned from the site if they disagree with your POV. People, misled or not, have a right to feel what they feel, and demanding that they be banned for anti-US opinions is a kin to sensorship and propaganda.

Having said that, I originally joined this site to expand my POV on politics. I wanted to get other's viewpoints and ideas concerning everything political here. Although my ambitions have broadened, I am consistently saddened when people shift focus from attacking the issue to attacking each other. Dude, please, don't be a part of this crowd. You only ruin it for others here.

Having said that, although I believe you went about it the wrong way, I actually agree with you . . . sorta. The US's policy in world affairs has been, and continues to be angering to most of the world. I think that there is a lot of jealosy out there towards the US, and our policy overseas has only enflared that. So some people's reactions, I believe, are sometimes over-reactions. I was watching on the news the other night an interview with several people from scattered areas of Iraq that said that their life was virtually untouched by the crap that is going on with the US, and insurgents there. Meanwhile we hear all the time about people who's homes are constantly invaded by US troops. Those people are justifiably upset at us. After all, wouldn't you be? Then there is the whole theory of do you trust your media, and what they "feed" you. There is always bias everywhere. These same people usually claim that overseas media is better "balanced" as if govt. controlled media sources are somehow more fair than others. Then again, I have worked for the "media" extensively, and I can say that there was a bit of a skew, but it had more to do with keeping a good rapport with officials so they would talk to us.

It is really difficult to form an opinion these days when you can't trust your inputs. My hope is that his place will be a way of filtering out all the crap. I am sure we have people here that are from overseas, and can help cut through the crap, or verify it.

Okay, so I have gone way off topic. I'll stop now.

Originally posted by THENEO
Really and what part of what I said is foolish?

You know I am right and this child is wrong and further more he is mocking me now cause he has nothing else.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Sorry but you are missing my point.

You cannot see others for what they really are until you can see yourself.

When everyone can see each other then we can see the unseen.

When we see the unseen everyone will have a better idea of what to do.

Then for a while there will be universal agreement.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I personally don't think the war was illegal, and I don't think it matters whether it was legal to Richard Fauk or Noam Chomsky, since he was brought into this fray. Neither of them would have supported it even it if Saddam came riding down the street sitting on top of a nuke. I probably wouldn't have supported it either since I tend to agree with Chomsky and those like him. It doesn't mean I hate my country. It doesn't mean he hates it either. Hating poverty and those that intentionally inflect poverty on to whole peoples and societies in the name of america doesn't mean you hate america.

I can distinguish between my home america and corporate controlled america very easily. Because the america I love would never support coporations that employ childern for under a dime an hour, or chemical corporations that dump waste in waters and on lands in the 3rd world because it's "legal" there. This is done under our flag and therefore in our name. We give these corporate demons tax breaks and sends american soldiers to defend their "interest" with their american blood. The america I love would not support privatizing people's water to the point where they can't afford it. But, we support the World Bank, the IMF, and the WTO. We support this garbage with our money, lives, and faltering prestige.

These are real issues, and real problems. They don't effect us until someone goes flying planes into our buildings and killing us because our soldiers are planted somewhere they shouldn't be protecting people they shouldn't protect. So if someone says wake up or calls us sheep instead of wondering why or getting angry maybe you should read what's going on in the rest of the world. It may help to read what these so called american coporations do in the rest of the world in our name. You are a sheep if you don't know, and you support them blindly.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 07:26 PM
link   
of course the war was illegal and immoral... so what??? did it ever stop anyone before???

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 07:34 PM
link   
If you dislike war so much then what is it with the Avatar Dexxy?

Maybe a dove is more appropriate for you.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 08:12 PM
link   
maybe a big brain for you??

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Now you are insulting and you are going low.

I am calling you for your inconsistency:

complaining about conflict but then advertising that somehow you agree with it or accept it or whatever it is?

maybe you need to figure it out yourself.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 08:32 PM
link   
i'm merely stating what I see as obvious and the realistic conclustion to the observation, get it?

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 09:04 PM
link   
chomsky's smart, no doubt. now check out who signs his paycheck.
the puppeteer controls both sides of the political spectrum. everyone must be a 'smart people' if we're going to get out of this apocalytic mess as a species.
if it is media, it lies, or lies by ommision. as neo says, look for the agenda behind the message. this is a class and information war more than it is a physical war, or war on terrorism, or drugs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join