It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: AUTO: NASCAR: Fans peeved at parking fees

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
LOUDON, N.H. (AP) - NASCAR fans have mixed reactions to a new camping fee for New Hampshire International Speedway's NASCAR races. Racing fans previously could park recreational vehicles on the track's 1,000-acre property at no charge, but this year were required to pay $100 in advance or $125 at the gate.

Busch Series and Nextel Cup races are scheduled for Saturday and Sunday at the speedway, and track spokesman Ron Meade said about 1,700 RVs already have arrived. Some fans called the new camping fee too high.

"You go from nothing to $100," said Bev Dion of Warwick, R.I. "That's steep."

She said she has traveled to Dover International Speedway as well as New Hampshire to attend races. She said the fee didn't compare well with rates at other tracks.

"I think they really need to look at giving you more space," she added.

She said some new RVs are too wide for the track's allotted sections. Andrew Davies of Enfield, Conn., also said the spaces were too small to accommodate campers who towed cars. Track officials changed the fee policy after being overwhelmed by more than 8,000 large vehicles last year. Meade said about 5,000 fans had arranged for RV parking in advance for this weekend.

"We were hopeful that charging a fee would give people a second thought about bringing their mobile homes," Meade said. "Because car parking is still free."

Not all tracks charge camping fees. Some RV parking is free at South Carolina's Darlington Raceway. But fees at other tracks can more than double New Hampshire's. Davies called the new fees reasonable, given campground improvements. They include new lighting and other upgrades. He said if speedway owner Bob Bahre uses this year's fees for more improvements, then fans' money will have been well spent.

"If he keeps on doing that, I don't care," Davies said.

He said he has visited several tracks along the East Coast to attend races. He said RV owners would particularly appreciate utility hookups in New Hampshire. Fans also weren't able to reserve specific spaces. Dion called the policy a problem for friends and relatives who hoped to camp near each other.

Sandy Hayes of Bennington, Vt., said the new fee makes trips to the track more difficult for families living on fixed incomes. She said she has missed only one major race at the speedway in 11 years, and enjoys socializing with other fans who regularly attend.

"This has hurt a lot of people," she said. "They just can't afford to come now, that's all."

[Edited on 20/7/04 by TRD]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Of course poeple are gonna complain, but it seems that they are going to put the money to good use.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
i used to go to the CART races at portland, they had a field with free camping, would pack my tent and have a great time, then they eliminated the free camping area and the only available spots were in the RV section, the few nearby hotels jacked up their prices on race weekend due to the number of fans who drove long distances and had no where to stay, i have never been back to the track. they priced themselves out of what i was willing to spend to go to a race...if you go to a race wander around the free camping area, that is where the real race fans are....

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Reminds me, will they be at the glenn anytime soon?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
AH THE GLEN....my old stomping grounds, yes they are there in August.....i sure do miss being able to go there, wasted many weekends of a mispent youth hanging on the fences above seneca lake....

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Well, that about friggin sucks, I'm only about 45 minutes away, and I'dl like ot go hang out there for a race soemtime. But I have either a wedding or a fantasy draft every weekend in August. Which weekend is it?

TRD

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
That does seem a bit steep of a rise to go from nothing to that. Anyone know what the average charge is for over places. Are they as much?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
they are at the glen the weekend of the 15th....don't know how much the going rate at the other track is, i know that the prime spots at a good part of the track are quite expensive, a lot of companies get these and entertain clients at the races...

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
yeah, my cousin's wedding the 14th... at least I'll get to meet some bridesmaids

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 03:29 AM
link   
off of the slant this topic has taken, when i went to Dega it cost 0 to park in the parking that was owned by the track. it was good parking except it took all night to get out of it. at daytona it was a different story, all the parking that they owned was at least a mile away from the track, so we parked in the mall parking lot which was 30 bucks. richmond was free and was only 1/4 mile from the gates. i think it just depends on which race you go to.

new topics

top topics

join