It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Griffey on fast track back

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
DAYTON, Ohio (AP) - Ken Griffey Jr. says he hopes to resume playing with the Cincinnati Reds as soon as next week after he partially tore his right hamstring, causing him to miss the All-Star game.

The center fielder was injured July 10 while trying to run down Brady Clark's drive to right-center in the fourth inning of a 5-0 loss at Milwaukee. The next day, the Reds placed him on the 15-day disabled list.

There is still no projected date for Griffey's return, Reds spokesman Rob Butcher said Tuesday.

Griffey told the Dayton Daily News in an interview published Tuesday that he has been running and doing four hours of workouts daily and isn't about to slack off to avoid the possibility of reinjuring himself. He has been on the disabled list six times since joining the Reds for the 2000 season.

"People ask me all the time why I don't back off a little bit, take it easy," Griffey told the newspaper. "That's not the way I was raised and not the way I was taught to play the game. I'm going to give everything I have. I'll take it easy when I retire.

"My teammates have come to me and said, 'Why don't you let those balls drop?' That's not me. If people wanted to come and watch players drop balls and not give 100% in the outfield, well, they aren't going to come. If I have a chance to catch it, I'm going to catch it, do everything I can to catch it."

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
It's good to see Junior on his way back. Hopefully he doesn't miss much more time this year.

TRD

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
How long will he last this time?

Also will he regain his form?

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The older you get, the longer it takes to heal up but he should be back soon. I think there will be much less of a rush if the Reds dont start winning, they're starting to fall back rapidly, right now 11 1/2 games out of the NL Central behind the red-hot Cardinals.

TRD

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Ken Griffey Jr. returned to the lineup from nearly a four-week absence yesterday and was shifted over from his usual spot in center to make his first-ever start in right field in hopes of giving him less ground to cover. The move didn't help as Griffey was forced from the game in the fifth inning when tightness emerged in his hamstring.

new topics

top topics

join