It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Mets looking for relief, trade for Baltimore's DeJean

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
NEW YORK (AP) - Hoping to bolster their bullpen, the New York Mets traded outfielder Karim Garcia to the Baltimore Orioles for reliever Mike DeJean on Monday. DeJean was 0-5 with a 6.13 ERA in 37 games for the Orioles. After a poor start, he compiled a 4.05 ERA in June and July.

"Mike will bring experience and depth to our bullpen," Mets general manager Jim Duquette said. "He has had success in the National League and has the savvy of pitching well in close games."

The Mets were 46-45 and two games behind Philadelphia and Atlanta going into Monday night's game against Florida. The 33-year-old righty will join his new team Tuesday.

"I'm excited to come to New York and be in the middle of a pennant race," DeJean said. "I played for Don Baylor in Colorado and know a lot of the guys in the clubhouse. I can't wait to get there."

DeJean pitched a season-high 2 2-3 scoreless innings Sunday, striking out four against Tampa Bay.

DeJean signed with the Orioles as a free agent in the offseason. He is 24-29 with 52 saves and a 4.40 ERA in 480 major league games with the Orioles, Milwaukee, St. Louis and Colorado.

Garcia, 28, hit .234 with seven home runs and 22 RBIs in 62 games with the Mets this year. He made 44 starts in right field.

Garcia was activated from the disabled list on July 9 after missing 2 weeks with tendinitis in his left wrist. He became expendable when the Mets acquired Richard Hidalgo in a recent trade with Houston.

In parts of 10 seasons, Garcia has batted .242 with 63 home runs and 201 RBIs with the Mets, Cleveland, the New York Yankees and Baltimore.

new topics

join