It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: SOCCER: Didier Drogba on his way to Chelsea

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Chelsea's efforts to sign Didier Drogba took a major step forward on Monday when Marseille agreed to part company with the coveted Ivory Coast striker. Drogba was first linked with a move to Stamford Bridge nearly three weeks ago but Marseille's 27million valuation of the player proved a stumbling block.

An initial offer of 18million was declined, prompting Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon to declare his club would not be held to ransom - despite the vast wealth of billionaire owner Roman Abramovich. However, Chelsea tabled an improved bid over the weekend and their persistence paid off with Marseille deciding to sell a player they bought for just 4million from Guingamp last summer.

BBC Sport

"Financially and in a sporting sense I could not refuse Chelsea's offer - I hope I live up to their expectations," said the 26-year-old striker.

Drogba, of the Ivory Coast, will fly to London on Tuesday to sign a four-year contract with the Blues. Drogba said the London club had fought off competition from several Serie A sides to secure his signature.

"I also had offers from Italian clubs, but going to Chelsea is an interesting challenge in my career and I'm glad to join them," he added.

"What convinced me to join Chelsea is that they really showed that they wanted me, and that counts a lot. I will give my best for them now.

"It's very hard to leave Marseille. I've had fantastic times there."

Marseille revealed that Chelsea offered double what Juventus were prepared to pay for Drogba.

And Marseille president Christophe Bouchet said the fee for the striker could be as much as 26.6m.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The question that lingers in my mind is whether Didier Drogba will suffer the fate of Fabien Barthez, who was benched as the ManU goalie.

TRD

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Drogba is a proven player but yea it will remain to be seen if he can withstand the more physical Premier League.

TRD

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Didier Drogba became Chelsea's record signing when he completed his transfer from Marseille for a reported 24million.

New Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has long been an admirer of the Ivory Coast international, and first tried to sign the striker when he was manager at Porto two years ago.

Well they have signed him today.

new topics

top topics

join