It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: Minnesota Wild Re-Sign netminder Fernandez.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Minnesota already has Roloson signed to contract, and the other half of the goalie by committee has now signed. Goaltender by committee started 2 years ago when Roloson came on board. The two netminders were able to combine to be one of the best team goaltenders in the league and help the Wild reach the Western Conference finals in 2003, despite being well overmatched. Looks like Lemaire is going to go with that same committee again in 04-05.

SportsTicker
SAINT PAUL, Minnesota - The Minnesota Wild on Monday re-signed backup goaltender Manny Fernandez to a one-year contract.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

Fernandez went 11-14-9 with a 2.49 goals-against average and two shutouts last season as a backup to Dwayne Roloson. The two combined to tie for the NHL's highest ranked team save percentage (.923) and fourth-best GAG (2.18).

Comments:
I still think they need to move Fernandez and get some more offense. Rolo was decent in net last year and it looked like there could end up being some controversy. Injuries made that a moot point, but someday, its going to come to a head and Lemaire will have to pick between the goalies.

I like goalie by committee, but there is 1 problem with it. Consistency. Since the goalie is not playing everyday, its hard to stay on top of their game.

We will see what happens.

TRD

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
What does it actually mean by Goaltender by committee?

I am not familiar with that term.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Most teams in the NHL have a full time goal tender. They usually play around 60 games or so, in an 82 game season. They get a day off everyonce in a while. In goalie by committee, the time is usually split evenly, so each tender will have 40 games or so.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I don't really see a problem with it for some of the lower budget teams. Their goalies are just happy to be playing half the games, because on a better team, they would probably be backups. Good news for the Wild, they should be in playoff contention now.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I like the committee, and Lemaire has done a great job of them sharing. And when one goalie goes down, you know you have another one that is very familiar with the team and has started at least half the games already.

With the goalies and Rolston, and whomever else the Wild re-sign and sign, they are looking good. Which probably means there wont be an NHL season this year.... Murphy's Law.

top topics

join