It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Agent says Big Unit probably staying put

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Hold off on the pinstripes fitting and put away the Randy Johnson-Curt Schilling reunion T-shirts ... for now. The Diamondbacks ace isn't headed anywhere, according to his agent, Barry Meister.

Meister told the Arizona Republic in Saturday's editions that the team hasn't asked Johnson to waive his no-trade clause and he doubts the team is shopping the lefty. What's more, Johnson has not asked for a trade, he said.

"And he has certainly not presented a list of teams he would be willing to play for, nor has the team asked him to present a list," the agent told the paper.

The Diamondbacks seconded Meister's proclamation.

"There is nothing going on," team CEO Jerry Colangelo told the Republic. "I'm leaving for Italy tomorrow, so if something happens, let me know, will you?"

That's a direct contradiction to earlier reports that said Johnson had narrowed his choices. Johnson's agents told major-league teams that the southpaw pitcher wants to be traded to either the Yankees or Cardinals, ESPN reported Friday. But the Cardinals likely won't be able to afford the $24 million remaining on Johnson's contract, so that makes the Yankees the most likely destination.

Arizona's East Valley Tribune, citing "a person who speaks often with Randy Johnson," reported that the long, tall left-hander wants to go to the Yankees, and only the Yankees.

However, the Yankees, who officially told Arizona general manager Joe Garagiola Jr. on Wednesday that they'd like to have Johnson, do not have the prospects the Diamondbacks seek, and may need a third team to get a deal done.

© 2004 NBC Sports.com

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Looks like it's the media stirring up these tradewinds more than Unit and the D-Backs.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
dont send him to the yanks. w/ all the superstars that they got they dont need any more. the cards need pitching more even thought they have done descent this season so far.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by beckman
dont send him to the yanks.

I definitely dont want to see him go to the Yankees, like you said they have enough talent now. I read that the Arizona scouts said they aren't impressed with the Yankees minor leaguers so they probably wont get a deal done with them.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   
the yankees have got too much. im a cards fan & theyre the best team in the league right now & they have half as many big names & the yanks. rolen, pujols, edmonds, & renteria are the superstars and they were allstars (except edmonds, he shouldve). even though rolen leads the league in rbis its the small players and underrated ones that are y the cards are winnin. rolen edmonds pujols & rent. are doin the same thing as last year but alot of the weight has been taken off of their shoulders this year b/c of players like womack, sanders, and taguchi-- thats the stuff that the yanks aint got & the buy their all stars but the cards earn it. i dont have anything against the yanks b/c steinbrener uses his money to help require what is needed to win while other gms pocket whats left over.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Any team but the Yankees is just fine with me. In fact, I think he should go to the Sox, so that the Yankees lose the division eventually.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
it wont matter b/c sooner or later the yanks will be out of it and if they rep the a.l. in the series they will lose there if not b4 then

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
i think that the statement by his agent that randy will stay in arizona is just politicing to drive up the price...with just a week left till the trade deadline i expect that he will be moved, hopefully not to the yankees

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Was this Big Unit's last start in Arizona?

He struck out 14 batters in 8 innings but got no run support and will get a no-decision.

[Edited on 7-25-2004 by ProudAmerican]

TRD

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   

It's looking like the Bronx or the desert for Randy Johnson.

According to a report in the New York Post Johnson will either be traded to the Yankees by Saturday's trade deadline or remain with the Diamondbacks. "It's shaping up as the Yankees or no trade," the source told the Post.

Johnson would have to waive a no-trade clause for him to be dealt. The Post says the Diamondbacks haven't given Johnson a solid proposal for him to accept, but they believe the Arizona front office has exchanged scenarios with the ace lefty. The paper says Johnson has never said he wouldn't accept a move to the Yankees.

link

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The Randy Johnson Watch has six more days to go. The New York tabloids are running daily reminders on behalf of the Yankees, and the Red Sox are counting the hours, hoping one of two things transpire -- they get him or the Yankees don't.

The talk has been fast and furious at this weekend's series between the beasts of the American League East, but a trade involving Johnson probably would go to the wire. The deadline is Saturday, and intense negotiations aren't expected to begin until Tuesday, when Diamondbacks owner Jerry Colangelo returns from Italy, where he's on vacation and at ease because he doesn't have to watch his baseball team.

Johnson, who's signed through next season for $16 million, doesn't talk much about a trade, but his patience with the Diamondbacks must be dwindling. In his first two starts after the All-Star break, both losses, he received three runs of support. Two Yankees scouts watched Tuesday's game against the Giants, and one was Jeff Wetherby, Johnson's teammate at USC.

On the other hand, Johnson isn't overly eager to suit up in Yankee pinstripes or hang his hat at Fenway Park. He's not a media darling and has always seemed comfortable pitching for smaller-market teams, including the Expos, Mariners, Astros and Diamondbacks.

www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2004/07/25/SPG9I7ST011.DTL

I did hear nothing will be done sooner than Tuesday because the owner is in Italy on vacation as the story mentions. I'm sure that goes for Steve Finley as well.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Ah, this has just been something that the media has fabricated, and sportstawk sites have used for fodder.

TRD

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Baseball's trade deadline is just days away, and one of Randy Johnson's agents has reportedly demanded his client be dealt to the New York Yankees — or else, according to the Newark Star-Ledger.

The newspaper cited unnamed baseball officials "with knowledge of the situation" and reported Barry Meister, one of the star lefty's representatives, has tried to strong-arm a potential deal by making veiled threats that Johnson could create problems if he is forced to continue pitching for the lowly Diamondbacks.

Meister is thought to have told D-Backs GM Joe Garagiola Jr.: "If you don't trade him to the Yankees, you are going to have one unhappy player."

Foxsports

TRD

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Diamondbacks lefthander Randy Johnson told at least one teammate Friday night that he is willing to accept a trade to the Dodgers.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The Diamondbacks will not trade Randy Johnson before today's 4 p.m. ET trade deadline, a team source told ESPN's Jim Bowden.

The Dodgers had been trying to land a deal for the future Hall of Famer, but the two sides were far apart on the players involved, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.

Sources told Gammons that Johnson had agreed to go to Los Angeles if a deal could be agreed upon before today's deadline.

ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported that Penny and one of two hot pitching prospects -- Chad Billingsley or Chuck Tiffany -- could have gone to Arizona in a possible deal for the Big Unit.

The Dodgers are also attempting to acquire outfielder Steve Finley from Arizona as well, and two sources tell Gammons that a deal could be completed before the deadline.

According to Stark, Jayson Werth, Murphy and either Billingsley or Tiffany would go to Arizona in return.

sports.espn.go.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I'd like to see FInley in L.A. He's the hitter that they need.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sniper474
He's the hitter that they need.

Especially after shipping off Loduca and Encarnacion.

They did get Hee Seop Choi but he's streaky, batting just .270 this season.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
*sigh* I have no idea what DePodesta is doing.
Paul LoDuca was one my favorite players.

No Big Unit but at least we got Finley, at least according to the FOX pregame show today. Still doesn't make my happy overall.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
You guys have the best closer in baseball IMO.

His two most important teammates are who...?

Catcher and set-up man. Loduca and Mota. For Penny and Choi? I dont get it.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Randy only had 14 strikeouts today vs the Mets.

new topics

top topics

join