It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: GOLF: Hamilton Wins British Open in Playoff

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Todd Hamilton, a virtually unknown on the PGA tour, well he did not even have a tour card a year ago. Playing an inspired and safe tournament, Hamilton was forced into a playoff with Ernie Els. After 12 years, 4 rounds, and 4 extra holes, Hamilton wins, and wins big. Getting his name engraved on the silver jug next to names like Jones, Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus and Woods.

Associated Press
TROON, Scotland - Toughened by a 12-year journey through some of the most obscure outposts in golf, Todd Hamilton finally arrived in a major way Sunday with a playoff victory over Ernie Els to win the British Open.

A year ago, he didn't even have a PGA Tour card.

After a hard-fought final round at Royal Troon and four extra holes against one of the best players in the world, the 38-year-old American won the claret jug and was introduced as the champion golfer of the year.

What a ride!

Comments:
Its always great to see new faces winning the Opens. Too bad for Els though. He had the chances, but could not follow through.

TRD

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I caught the last few putts on the TV and yes it was a bit of a shock, even the commentators were saying it was. But well done to him.

[Edited on 18/7/04 by TRD]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I thought it was an interesting bit of golf history....Els ties Hamilton after missing a ten-footer with a horrific misjudgement of break....I almost wondered if it was intentional, given that they can bet on winners there...Then Hamilton gets the first shot and Els ends up losing.....it was almost as if Els was payed off to miss that putt, it was such a horrible stroke - lol

I'm sure it wasn't rigged.....but how oh how could he have missed that?!?! Mark Wahlburg came closer to making a 50 foot putt in the Pro-Am the other day than Els did :bounce:

[Edited on 7/19/2004 by ChiefOsceola]

join