It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Steinbrenner wants Selig to stay on as commish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
NEW YORK -- Yankees owner George Steinbrenner wants baseball commissioner Bud Selig to get an extension beyond 2006.

After saying for more than a year that he would leave office on Dec. 31, 2006, Selig said Tuesday he may be willing to extend his term.

"It's good news for all of baseball that Bud Selig is considering staying on as commissioner beyond his present contract," Steinbrenner said Friday in a statement.

"Bud is my very good friend for over 30 years, and while we don't always agree on everything, he's done a sensational job as commissioner. ... I, for one, urge Bud to stay. We couldn't hope to do better."

Speaking in Detroit on Friday, Selig said he will not fine Steinbrenner for his remarks last month about Arizona pitcher Randy Johnson.

Two weeks ago, the commissioner's office said it would review statements to determine whether they constituted tampering. Steinbenner had told Sporting News Radio: "God, who wouldn't love to have Randy Johnson?"

source

CBS

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
He just wants Selig to stay on because he hasn't done jack all about his excessive spending. Otherwise he couldn't care less

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
NEW YORK -- Yankees owner George Steinbrenner wants baseball commissioner Bud Selig to get an extension beyond 2006.

Cuz George has Bud in his pocket.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

Cuz George has Bud in his pocket.

But of course he does...George is the real commish here.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
That is so true.

Odds are, there will eventually be accusations from another team that is pissed off about losing, and then somebody will have to look into it. Then George is screwed

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
hopefully this happens sooner rather than later.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Money talk$, and we all know George has plenty of that.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I can't blame Steinbrenner for wanting Sellig back. everyone loves a supervisor (if you can call him that) that you can push around. i however think he needs to go. his handling of the all star game a couple years ago was a joke. this new home field advantage thing with the world series needs to go. if he got rid of the DH i might support him being commish again. and he also needs to make the schedule balanced. also with the interleague play he needs to make sure divisions play the same teams it's not right that some teams get to play the yankees- redsox, and others get the royals- orioles, etc. you get what i mean right. fix it bud or get out of the way.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Bud kinda seems like he's trying to do stuff that is popular with the fans, like making a meaningless game like the All Star game, and making it important. It seems that he's trying to bring a wider audience to the ball games, when to me it seems kinda like hes just screwing it over for the people who already cared.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sniper474
t seems that he's trying to bring a wider audience to the ball games, when to me it seems kinda like hes just screwing it over for the people who already cared.

I would agree with that statement.

new topics

top topics

join