It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Brian Cardinal signs with Memphis Grizzlies

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) The Memphis Grizzlies signed free agent Brian Cardinal on Wednesday, adding size and experience to a team coming off the best season in franchise history.

Cardinal, a 6-foot-8, 245-pound forward, played in 76 games for the Golden State Warriors last season, starting 11. He averaged 9.6 points and 4.2 rebounds in 21.5 minutes, shooting 44 percent from 3-point rage - third among NBA leaders.

Grizzlies president Jerry West, who has a reputation for spotting undervalued talent, called Cardinal "an excellent all-around player."

"He will provide additional shooting in an area that we felt needed help. In addition, he has a very high basketball IQ that we obviously covet in all our players," West said.

The terms of Cardinal's contract were not disclosed. The Commercial Appeal newspaper of Memphis cited sources in saying he signed a six-year deal for part of the $5 million midlevel allowance and must achieve specific goals to increase his pay.

The Grizzlies won 50 games last season and advanced to the playoffs for the first time in franchise history before being swept by the San Antonio Spurs.

West added nine players before last season and is expected to make more personnel changes this summer. He is still looking for a big center to add more size and strength inside.

"I am very excited to work with Hubie Brown and Jerry West," Cardinal said. "What they have started in Memphis is fantastic. This a great opportunity to build upon what they have accomplished, and I look forward to playing for a winning, successful team."

Cardinal joined the NBA with Detroit as the 44th selection in the 2000 draft. He was traded to the Washington Wizards in 2002 and joined Golden State as a free agent in 2003.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Nice job by "The Custodian".

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
He's a great pickup, not much else to add but I'm sure in Hubie Brown's system he'd be a good contributor.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Yeah, with Hubie's 10-man rotation I'm sure he'll finally get some consistent playing time.

top topics

join