It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Nelson sets up defence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
WBO cruiserweight champion Johnny Nelson will make his 13th title defence against Rudiger May on 4 September.

And promoter Frank Warren then aims to give Nelson, 37, what could be his farewell fight against highly-rated Welshman Enzo Maccarinelli.

May, a mandatory challenger from Koln, has lost only twice in 44 fights, but Nelson says he expects to dominate him.

"I have known May since I was 20 and he's always been one step behind me on the cruiserweight scene," he said.

"When we've sparred it's been very competitive and he's got an excellent jab and good all-round boxing skill.

"I know I've got to be on the ball and box to the best of my ability but I am confident of beating him."

Promoter Frank Warren added: "This will be a tough fight for Johnny but he is a model professional and I expect him to keep hold of his title.

"Providing he comes through, the fight I want to make is between him and Maccarinelli, which I want to put on in December."

Nelson appeared to play down talk of a showdown with the Welshman in July, saying that he planned to retire at the end of the year.

But money and the chance to beat of one of Britain's brightest boxing hopes may yet persuade him to fight on.

Story from BBC SPORT:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2004/07/13 11:53:25 GMT

© BBC MMIV

new topics

join