It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Williams in bullish mood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Danny Williams insists that he will not be making up the numbers when he takes on Mike Tyson on 30 July.

The former British heavyweight champion admitted that Tyson's camp would expect their man to win easily.

"(Tyson's) 40% is still better than most fighter's 100%. He's still a world class fighter and still has world class punching power," said Williams.

"On any given day he can definitely still win a world title but he has to get through me. I don't think he will."

Tyson's fight with Williams is his first bout in 17 months, and Williams is expected to be the first of a string of opponents as the former undisputed champion attempts to clear a massive $40m debt.

Williams has set up training camp in New York city where he will spar with Clifford Etienne - Tyson's last opponent lasted just 39 seconds.

"I think he (Etienne) can tell me about the intimidation factor," said Williams.

"I don't think he can tell me much about Tyson's technique he wasn't in there long.

"When I came to America a lot of people thought I was just another English bum but they've been surprised.

"I've been constantly stopping my sparring partners and knocking them out.

"People have been surprised by my speed and power and that an Englishman can fight like that."

Story from BBC SPORT:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2004/07/13 20:08:03 GMT

© BBC MMIV

join