It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Cards latest to break offseason rules

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Cardinals quit offseason workouts early to resolve labor complaint

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- The Arizona Cardinals have ended their offseason workouts a week early after a group of players complained to the the union the team had violated league rules by working the players too hard.

NFL Executive Vice President Harold Henderson and Players Association Executive Director Gene Upshaw said the team violated rules on the intensity level and tempo of drills during voluntary workouts under new coach Dennis Green.

As a result, the Cardinals have forfeited the final week of their offseason program, which was scheduled to run through Friday. The team reports to training camp in Flagstaff Aug. 1.

"We're very respectful of the (collective bargaining agreement) and are taking the appropriate measures to make sure this does not re-occur," said Rod Graves, Cardinals vice president of football operations.

The Cardinals are the second team this year to give up voluntary workouts because of contract violations.

The New York Giants, who also have a new coach, Tom Coughlin, were told in May the team had to give up two days of their offseason program because of violations on the length of workouts and the scheduling of classroom sessions.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
While my cousin was complaining about this last night, saying that these guys are overpaid as it is, I remember the recent deaths that have happened during the summer training sessions, and think it's a travesty that these coaches are abusing the players like this. And I thought that Denny Green wouldn't be the kind of guy to do this.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Well said Gibbs. It's OK for the little guys but work the linemen, TE's, FB's and LBs that way, you're going to see them fall. As for Green, I can see what he's doing. He screwed up big time in his handling of Moss, now he's trying to put forth to his players that he isn't a coach that will take any crap.

This is a team in total disarray. Time for the owner to scuttle the whole project, fire management from the top down, start over.

join