It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: TENNIS: Graf, Edberg join Tennis Hall of Fame

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Newport, RI (Sports Network) - The International Tennis Hall of Fame on Sunday inducted three new members, highlighted by German legend Steffi Graf and Swedish great Stefan Edberg. American Dorothy "Dodo" Cheney was also enshrined in Newport.

Graf piled up a remarkable 107 singles titles and 11 doubles wins. She captured an astounding 22 Grand Slam singles titles, with seven Wimbledons, six French Opens, five U.S. Opens and four Australian Opens, and was a major runner-up on nine other occasions. By the end of the 1995 season, "Fraulein Forehand" became the only player -- male or female -- to win each of the four Grand Slam singles titles at least four times.

In 1988, she captured the Grand Slam by winning all four majors in the same calendar year and she achieved the Golden Slam that same year by winning Olympic gold in Seoul.

The 35-year-old Graf spent a massive 331 weeks (non-consecutive) as the world's No. 1 female player, and holds the record for the longest consecutive streak of 186 straight weeks at the top -- best among both men and women.

Graf was an amazing 902-115, was honored as the WTA Player of the Year eight times between 1987-96, and was the International Tennis Federation World Champion seven times.

She went 28-4 in Fed Cup play, leading Germany to titles in 1987 and 1992.

Graf retired from the tour in August 1999, despite being ranked No. 3 in the world at the time, and has since married fellow tennis legend Andre Agassi, a future Hall-of-Famer.

Edberg owns 41 career singles titles and 18 doubles victories. He captured six Grand Slam singles titles, having won Wimbledon, the U.S. Open and the Australian Open two times apiece. The classy Swede also nailed down a trio of Grand Slam doubles crowns, winning the 1996 Aussie Open and the 1987 Aussie and U.S. Open titles.

The 38-year-old Edberg is a former world No. 1, spending 72 weeks (non- consecutive) atop the rankings. He placed in the year-end top 10 for 10 straight years (1985-94) and finished in the top five from 1985-93.

Edberg was a two-time ATP Player of the Year (1991-92) and five-time recipient of the ATP's Sportsmanship Award, more than any player in tour history. The ATP renamed the award the Edberg Sportsmanship Award.

The serve-and-volleying Edberg was a member of four of Sweden's seven Davis Cup championship teams and holds the Swedish record by playing in seven finals.

The 87-year-old Cheney, the first American to win the Australian National Championships way back in 1938, has competed in tennis events for eight decades. She holds the record for most United States Tennis Association National Senior titles -- over 300 -- and has won over 20 Senior Grand Slam titles, also a USTA record.

Cheney is the daughter of 1956 Hall-of-Famer May Sutton Bundy, winner of the 1904 U.S. Championships and the 1905 and 1907 Wimbledon titles. Cheney's father Tom Bundy corralled U.S. doubles championships from 1912-14.

Graf and Edberg entered in the Recent Player category, while Cheney went in via the Master Player category, bringing the total number of inductees to 186 (representing 18 countries) since the Hall was established in 1954.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I'v enever heard of Cheney before, that's pretty inmpressive, over 300 titles. Is she still competing at 87?

TRD

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Well it said over 8 decades so i guess she is.

I've never heard of her to be honest.

She has 20 grand slam titles to her name aswell. how many players have done that. Not many i guess.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
That's 20 senior slams, bu tstill quite impressive. Yeah, I guess over 80 years, and she's 87, she must still be competeting.

And I was impressed with Martina...

TRD

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Well yeah senior titles but they are still classed as grand slam titles.

Hrmm how comes we don't get players like Mcenroe and Edberg, Lendl ect ect competing for these senior titles.

Maybe they do i don't know, but i havn't come across any articles about it.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Yeah, I remember a few years ago hearing about conners competing at the senior level, but I don't remember any other bigtime names like that.

new topics

top topics

join