It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: NHL director of officiating Van Hellemond resigns

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
TORONTO (Ticker) - Andy Van Hellemond, who spent a quarter century as a referee in the National Hockey League, on Friday announced his resignation as the league's director of officiating.

"I certainly enjoyed my four years as director of officiating and I am proud of what we were able to accomplish over that time," Van Hellemond said. "My time as director of officiating was very demanding but very rewarding. I look forward eagerly to new challenges and new opportunities."

Van Hellemond will remain with the NHL's hockey operations department as a consultant.

"We thank Andy for his many contributions to the league's officiating department over the past four years," NHL executive vice president of hockey operations Colin Campbell said. "Andy was perhaps the best coach of on-ice officials this league has ever had and he brought an impressive combination of experience and professionalism to his job every day."

Making his refereeing debut in 1972-73, Van Hellemond spent 25 years calling penalties in the NHL, working 1,475 regular-season games and 227 postseason contests, including appearances in 19 Stanley Cup Finals.

Van Hellemond, who became one of the first officials to wear a helmet, worked his last game on June 8, 1996. He served as the senior vice president of hockey operations with the ECHL for three years and was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1999.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
YEEHAW. Now if he could only find a deep hole and jump into it, my day would be complete. He was an arrogant jerk when he officiated in junior and didn't change for the better when he reached the NHL.

new topics

join