It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: TENNIS: Schett helps Austria shock U.S. team in Fed Cup quarters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
INNSBRUCK, Austria -- Barbara Schwartz beat Lisa Raymond 10-8 in the third set Sunday to clinch Austria's upset of the United States in the Fed Cup quarterfinals.

Coupled with Barbara Schett's 6-3, 6-2 victory over Chanda Rubin in the day's opening match, Schwartz's 7-6 (7-3), 4-6, 10-8 victory gave Austria a 3-1 lead in the best-of-5 series.

"It's an unbelievable performance," Schett said. "Reaching the semifinals for the second time in three years is a great accomplishment for a country like Austria."

Also reaching the semifinals were Russia and France, while Belgium led Spain in the fourth quarterfinal. A new draw will determine the semifinal pairings.

The United States has won the Fed Cup 17 times and reached the semifinals in 35 of the competition's 41 years.

But Raymond and Rubin gave the United States a third-string squad, because such stars as Venus and Serena Williams, Lindsay Davenport and Jennifer Capriati opted not to play.

source

CBS

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Those stars that decided not to play for thier country should be ashamed of themselves!

TRD

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Yea Gibbs it looks like it backfired on them big time.

But we don't know the reason why they never played as nothing was stated. Was it the teams decision and the coaches or the girls themselves?

If it was the team and coaches decision then the girls have nothing to be ashamed of as they never got picked.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I would think that it was the girls themselves, I can't imagine coach telling those four players that they weren't wanted on the team, that would just be crazy!

TRD

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Hrmm yea..

Well i can understand Daveport not playing as she had a bad last few months and is thinking of retiring.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Hrmm yea..

Well i can understand Daveport not playing as she had a bad last few months and is thinking of retiring.

If I was gonna retire, I'd give it one last shot if I was given the opportunity. Why not???

TRD

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Because she has been carrying a injury for a long while and it seems like she hasn't fully recovered. As it shows in her game at wimbledon and before.

top topics

join