It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Shaq approves trade to Heat and so do the Lakers

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Mike Branom / Associated Press - Shaquille O'Neal would be happy to be traded to the Miami Heat. That word came Saturday from O'Neal's agent, Perry Rogers, who told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that O'Neal has given his blessing to a deal that would send him to Miami.

"We've said that we would agree to a trade," Rogers said in a story posted Saturday night on the newspaper's Web site. "I think that's going to happen. I'd be very surprised if it didn't happen."

The deal, expected to include Lamar Odom, Caron Butler and Brian Grant going to Los Angeles, cannot be completed until Wednesday when a two-week leaguewide moratorium on trades and free agent signings expires.

"It's very serious. I think it's very close to getting done," said Grant's agent, Mark Bartelstein.

Greeted by reporters as he was leaving a gym near his Orlando mansion, O'Neal said he had not yet met with Heat president Pat Riley and declined to comment on a possible trade.

"I can't say anything about that today," said O'Neal, flashing a big smile.

But the Sun-Sentinel reported that O'Neal joined his representatives for a three-hour meeting that included Riley and Heat general manager Randy Pfund. O'Neal's contract runs for two more seasons with a combined salary of almost $59 million, and he was angered earlier this season when the Lakers refused to offer him an extension.

Rogers said the Heat had not discussed a new contract with O'Neal.

"No extension was agreed upon. That was never a condition for Shaquille," Rogers said. "He wanted to go to an environment that was a team environment. We feel confident that that's what Pat Riley and [owner] Micky Arison have created as a culture. This is the type of place that Shaquille would love to finish his career."

In Los Angeles, the formal announcement of Rudy Tomjanovich's hiring as the Lakers' new coach was partially overshadowed by the O'Neal trade talk and Kobe Bryant's free agency.

Bryant is free to sign with any NBA team as of July 14, and reports in Los Angeles have said he is giving serious consideration to signing with the Clippers. A trade of O'Neal, combined with coach Phil Jackson's departure, would appear to indicate the Lakers are doing all they can to placate Bryant in the hopes that he'll re-sign.

When O'Neal declared that he wanted out of Los Angeles just days after the Lakers lost the NBA finals to Detroit, he listed Miami as one of his preferred destinations. Riley and Pfund did not attend the Heat's summer league game in Orlando on Saturday as they had done all week. A Heat spokesman said the team could not comment, because O'Neal was under contract with the Lakers.

Tomjanovich said he spoke with O'Neal, but declined to divulge any details. "I just hope all those things turn out well," he said.

Los Angeles general manager Mitch Kupchak said there was nothing new to report on O'Neal.

"I don't know how this is going to play out, I really don't," he said. "When there is something to report, we'll report it."

Kupchak said that he had not spoken with O'Neal or his representatives, but added: "Shaquille has a unique way of letting me know information I should know."

Last year, O'Neal averaged a career-low 21.5 points with 11.5 rebounds and 2.48 blocks. O'Neal began his NBA career with Orlando, leading the Magic to the NBA Finals in 1995. He signed with the Lakers as a free agent after the 1995-96 season and won three NBA titles in Los Angeles, though he has maintained a residence in South Florida.

In 12 seasons, he has averaged 27.1 points, 12.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocks.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Hmm, I still think that Dallas would be a better situation for him as far as winning a championship, but Miami isn't exactly a bad place for him to end up, either. And it gets him out of the West, so I like that!

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
This trade really seems like its being made to just get rid of him rather than to get something of at least comparable value (or at least pick up some expiring contracts that would allow LA to rebuild quickly)

But yea, in all honesty a move to the East is great for Shaq; not having to deal with any true centers should extend his career quite a bit.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
He want sout, that's the bottom line. And Grant and Odom will play well for Rudy T, don't worry.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I'm just glad that he's finally foing to be traded so that this soap opera can finally end. It's kinda annoying.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cannon
This trade really seems like its being made to just get rid of him rather than to get something of at least comparable value (or at least pick up some expiring contracts that would allow LA to rebuild quickly)

But yea, in all honesty a move to the East is great for Shaq; not having to deal with any true centers should extend his career quite a bit.

and besides, it's 3 players and a drraft pick...4 guys for 1, isn't that compensation???

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Thats pretty funny. When you think about it, there really aren't any great centers in all of the East. Not that I can think of anyway.

I think L.A. is looking towards the future with the deals that they have been making. Although they have done quite well ovber the past couple of years, and aren't getting the talent that Shaq had back, they are building a team that should be a contender in the years to come.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Well they seem a lot like the mid 90's Lakers I suffered through at a quick glance now
, but I'll try and be optimistic.

And yes, even I am tiring of nothing but Lakers news on TV now...there is a lot of other interesting stuff going on around the league.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Well they seem a lot like the mid 90's Lakers I suffered through at a quick glance now
, but I'll try and be optimistic.

Suffered through? Correct me if I'm wrong but they only dropped to the lottery once in the 1990's.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Ah, well in LA, nothing less than the best is ever considered enough.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Butler and Odom are a pair of great young talents, and Grant's a solid vet...I'm actually surprised the Heat gave up a draft pick as well, considering they had the trade advantage with Shaq wanting out so bad

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Heh sorry, perhaps if I was a Clippers fan i'd have something to rant about right now but yea, I suppose I've been pretty lucky to have avoided a lottery team all these years...

new topics

top topics

join