It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OLYMPICS: Jones finishes 5th in 100, failing to qualify for Athens

page: 1

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 11:07 PM
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Perhaps it was the stress of fighting doping allegations. Maybe it was the physical and emotional strains of motherhood. Or perhaps time, and a new generation of sprinters, are finally catching up with her.

Marion Jones failed to qualify for the U.S. Olympic team in the 100 meters Saturday night, losing out on a chance to defend her gold medal in her signature event at the Athens Games.

Jones started quickly but seemed to struggle as the race progressed and finished fifth in the final at the U.S. Olympic trials. The top three finishers automatically make the team.

Jones, who won five medals at the 2000 Sydney Games, still can make the Olympic team if she qualifies in the 200 meters or long jump. Or she could be picked for a relay team.

The defeat comes at a difficult time for perhaps the biggest U.S. Olympic star. She is under investigation by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, although she has repeatedly denied using drugs and has not been charged by USADA.

[Edited on 7/11/2004 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 11:53 PM
It's a sad thing but age catches up to us all. I just have to look at my waistline, a constant reminder.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 08:47 AM
LOL, me too, but I'm in constant denial about the waisline...

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 11:52 AM
It had to happen one of these years and it is only a really big thing because it was the Olympics that she missed out on, and not some other event

new topics

top topics