It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Bonds will not receive MLB favors

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Barry Bonds and Major League Baseball officials strongly denied a report that the league was compensating Bonds for his appearance in Monday's home run derby.

"It was flat-out wrong and a flat-out lie, period," said Bonds, who beckoned reporters to him in the dugout during batting practice.

Bonds said he delayed entering the contest because he wanted assurance from MLB Senior Vice President Howard Smith that all four active members of the 500-homer club would take part in the contest.

"In the past, people have backed out," Bonds said. "I wanted to hear from the horse's mouth that it would go through and everyone would participate."

In a news release, Smith echoed that Bonds will receive no extra favors for participating in the exhibition.

"Having worked with and known Barry for many years and understanding his reluctance to participate, we are extremely grateful Barry recognizes the historic significance of this year's event, and what his participation means to baseball fans," Smith said. "It is extremely disappointing to Major League Baseball and the San Francisco Giants that his intentions have been grossly misrepresented."

Bonds said he was looking forward to the competition, which also includes Sammy Sosa, Ken Griffey Jr. and Rafael Palmeiro.

"Yeah because it's historical," Bonds said. "What are the chances that will happen again?"

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
It's just silly that anyon eactually thought he'd be getting extra cash for competing in the derby. Why?

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Go figure... While I believe Barry is his worst enemy, you could never convince me this is true. Just someone trying to stir up BS... Media pisses me off at times

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swanny
Media pisses me off at times

Amen, man, amen!

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Idiots who have writers block and decide to make stuff up because they are desperate to not get fired

top topics

join