It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Warren admits Hatton fears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Promoter Frank Warren has admitted he fears Ricky Hatton's boxing "moment" will slip away if he is unable to find the Briton top opponents to fight.

Light welterweight Hatton has already voiced his concerns after 13 defences of the lightly-regarded WBU title.

"It is now his moment and I fear we are going to lose the moment," said Warren.

"I don't want Ricky going stale and I don't want him on a conveyor belt or in a situation where he is waiting a year to get a big fight."

Hatton, 25, looked to have made a breakthrough when he outpointed respected veteran Ben Tackie in December.

But 2004 has brought frustration in the form of low-key bouts with Dennis Pederson and Carlos Wilfredo Vilches.

"I can take the criticism," said Warren in answer to those who blame him for failing to land Hatton the big names.

"I've lived with pressure all my life and that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is disappointing the boxers and the fans."

Hatton's next fight could be against WBA champion Vivian Harris or former IBF lightweight title-holder Paul Spadafora.

And although Warren gave no hints, he vowed to set a date for later in the year.

"The news is that Ricky Hatton will fight in October," he said.

"I don't know what date it is going to be and who it is going to be, but I've got two fights I can deliver - 100%.

"Ricky wants the big fights and I can deliver the big fights. He wants to fight the best and finish his career with me."

Story from BBC SPORT:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2004/07/09 11:27:08 GMT

© BBC MMIV

new topics

join