It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Shaq to the Heat?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   
ESPN.com news services

The Lakers, intent on trading a disgruntled Shaquille O'Neal, might make a deal with the Heat that would include Lamar Odom, Brian Grant and probably a first-round draft pick, sources told the Riverside Press-Enterprise for Thursday's editions.

The team is considering a handful of the 17 or 18 offers it has received for the center, the paper reports.

"Just like the coach deal with Phil [Jackson] being let go, Dr. Buss thinks it's time to deal Shaq," a team source told the paper.

The team is close to replacing Jackson with coach Rudy Tomjanovich. ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher reports that the deal to hire Tomjanovich is basically finished, with negotiations now centering on who will be on the coaching staff.

At the same time, free agent Kobe Bryant met with four teams, including the Lakers and the Clippers.

Tomjanovich tried to contact O'Neal, the paper reported, and Shaq left a message in response.

"I just feel terrible for Rudy because I wanted to play for him," O'Neal said, according to the paper. "But I ain't coming back there."

Sources told the Press-Enterprise that O'Neal's representatives have shot down potential deals. The Kings, one of the teams O'Neal is willing to play for, reportedly backed away from talks.

ESPN's Stephen A. Smith reports that any deal involving O'Neal could also involve a third team since the Pacers or Mavericks have been involved in these discussions, but that nothing is imminent.

sports.espn.go.com...

My comments: If he's not staying with the Lakers, I hope it happens because I'd rather see him in Miami than Dallas.

[Edited on 9/7/04 by TRD]

[Edited on 7/17/2004 by William]

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I think it's more likely that he'll be in a Maverick uni next season. Sorry Fox.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Yeah, gotta agree there.

Also, Shaq or no Shaq, the Heat have a talented young core of players and might want to think carefully before trading any of them (particularly the rejuvenated Lamar Odom) away...even for the league's most impactful player

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I've got to eat my words here -

Shaq reportedly expects to be dealt to Heat soon

MIAMI -- Los Angeles Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal has agreed to a trade to the Miami Heat, according to a published report.

The Miami Herald, in a story posted on its Web site Saturday, is reporting that the deal now needs only to be finalized by the two teams.

O'Neal, who announced after the Lakers lost in the NBA Finals to Detroit that he wanted to be traded, is set to be dealt to the Heat in exchange for Lamar Odom, Brian Grant and Caron Butler.

A trade to the Heat would mark a return to Florida for O'Neal, who played the first four years of his career with the Orlando Magic.

O'Neal and his representatives met with Heat president Pat Riley and general manager Randy Pfund at an undisclosed location in Orlando on Saturday.

According to the Herald, O'Neal said that he expected a deal to occur "soon, real soon."

O'Neal helped Orlando to the NBA Finals in 1995, then spent one more year with the Magic before signing with the Lakers prior to the 1996-97 season. He won the NBA MVP Award following the 1999-2000 season and is a three-time NBA Finals MVP.

The speculation surrounding O'Neal's departure heightened Saturday as the Lakers introduced Rudy Tomjanovich has their new head coach.

CBS Sportsline

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
I think it's more likely that he'll be in a Maverick uni next season. Sorry Fox.

Actually the trade isn't final yet. We'll find out tomorrow.

But I hate the Mavericks. So I'm crossing my fingers.
Actually my first choice is Shaq to stay in LA but apparently that isn't a choice anymore.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Why would you want Shaq to stay in LA??

My only possibly reasoning why could be that without him the LA-Sac rivalry dies down for now...him and Phil Jackson were the main starters of that with their talking...

With Shaq LA has always had a chance of getting to the Finals. Hell any team with a complement of decent shooters with Shaq in the middle has a chance to get to the Finals. But you can say that about any team with a great big man now...

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Will he stay, will he go that is the question. Myself i see him leaving and going to the Heat. Not that i think it would be a good move but it seems like he thinks his time with the Lakers has passed.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cannon
Why would you want Shaq to stay in LA??

My only possibly reasoning why could be that without him the LA-Sac rivalry dies down for now...him and Phil Jackson were the main starters of that with their talking...

Well exactly that.

As a Kings' fan, I really wanted Shaq and Kobe to stay together in LA. I wanted Phil Jackson to stay too. Why?

Because now this Kings' team can never say we beat that Lakers' team. It's over. Met you guys in the postseason 3 times and went 0 for 3. I at least wanted one more shot at them. And we might not ever have beaten them if they did all stay together but now 100 percent for sure, I'll never know.

Now we're officially like the Jazz and the Knicks vs. the Bulls. Met the Bulls several times but never got the job done.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Mulder
Now we're officially like the Jazz and the Knicks vs. the Bulls. Met the Bulls several times but never got the job done.

But, those Bulls had Jordan, arguably the best player ever, see the link, add your opinion -

best ever

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

But, those Bulls had Jordan, arguably the best player ever,

True but this Lakers' team had one of the best ever big men in Shaq. And Kobe could be one of the best ever when all is said and done with his career.

I'll respond to the other link after I think about it for a bit. That's a tough question.

[Edited on 07/17/2004 by Fox Mulder]

top topics

join