It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: Top dollar: Moscow wants $2M+ for Ovechkin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Ovechkin was slated to go first in the NHL entry draft this year, and he did. Now for him to play in the NHL next season, the Washington Capitals will need to fork over the cash. Ovechkin's currect contract runs out after next season, but Dynamo Moscow is willing to let him go, for a price. Other than monetary compensation, Dynamo is not going to hinder Ovechkin's transition to the NHL.

Reuters
MOSCOW -- The Washington Capitals will have to pay at least $2 million if they want to see Russian forward Alexander Ovechkin in their uniform this season, his club, Dynamo Moscow, said Wednesday.

Washington selected the 19-year-old with the first pick in the NHL entry draft last month.

Ovechkin still has a year remaining on his Dynamo contract but has already stated that he wants to play in the NHL this season, and the Moscow club said it would not stand in his way.

Comments:
Well, though I think 2 mil is a little steep, I do believe the teams these players are comming from deserve nice compensation for losing their players.

More than likely, Washington will hold off on paying any money until the labor negotiations get closer to being done, and a season to be played. If Ovechkin does not play in the NHL this year, I do not think it will be a bad thing, he's only 19 afterall.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
2 million???

For a rookie. Their crazy...unless they mean 2 million rubles

new topics

join