It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Magic GM received death threats over T-Mac trade

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - Orlando Magic general manager John Weisbrod reportedly received written death threats at his home about trading two-time NBA scoring champion Tracy McGrady. Florida Today reported Wednesday that Weisbrod received two such threats since mid-June, and was forced to check into a hotel under an alias for two nights last week.

On June 17, one week before the NBA draft, Weisbrod found a threatening note taped to the front door of his home. He said he called Magic assistant general manager Scott Herring and went ahead with plans to take draft prospect Emeka Okafor to dinner.

Nearly two weeks later, on the day the Magic announced McGrady's trade to Houston, a death threat was scribbled on the glass door of the house with a grease marker, Weisbrod said.

"I get harassing correspondence all the time, but when it starts happening at your house, that raises the bar to a different level," said Weisbrod, a 35-year-old divorced father of one.

Weisbrod said the Magic notified the Orange County Sheriff's Office of the threats last week, but filed no official report because he wanted to keep the incidents "out of the public eye."

Sheriff's officials took the June 17 note to analyze for fingerprints and study the handwriting, he said.

McGrady, an all-star in each of the four years he played in Orlando, was sent to Houston with three others in exchange for point guard Steve Francis, shooting guard Cuttino Mobley and center/forward Kelvin Cato. The deal was announced June 30.

McGrady averaged 28.1 points for the Magic, and quickly became the team's most popular player.

But he told team owner Rich DeVos he wanted to be traded, and the Magic didn't want to be left without compensation if McGrady opted out of his seven-year, $93 million contract after next season.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
What an absolute disgrace how low-class some fans are becoming.

TRD

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I agree Cannon.

Is it really the GM's decision to let the players go or the people who own the club?

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cannon
What an absolute disgrace how low-class some fans are becoming.

Yeah, I can't beleive how stupid some people can be! It's just a game, folks!

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I know that it gets pretty intense, but to do that is just stupid.

Somebody is going to get nailed for it and go to jail.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
We can only hope so. Friggin idiots!

top topics

join