It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Thome, Pavano and Bay honored by NL for June

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
New York, NY (Sports Network) - Philadelphia Phillies first baseman Jim Thome and Florida Marlins righthander Carl Pavano have been named the National League's Player and Pitcher of the Month for June, respectively.

Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Jason Bay was voted NL Rookie of the Month.

Thome hit .306 (30-for-98) with 15 home runs and 31 RBI during the month. His homer total led all major league hitters for the month, as did his .816 slugging percentage and 80 total bases.

The slugger's 15 homers tied the Phillies' franchise record for most home runs in a month, set by Cy Williams in May 1923.

Pavano, who went 5-0 with a 1.37 ERA in June, led all NL starters in wins and ERA for the month. He struck out 31 while walking only five and allowing 27 hits in 39 1/3 innings. Pavano recorded his second career shutout when he pitched a three-hitter with eight strikeouts against the Chicago White Sox on June 16.

Bay led all NL rookies for the month with seven homers and 17 RBI. He hit .273 (18-for-66) with a pair of doubles and 14 runs scored in 23 games in June.

Other players who received votes for their June performances were: Derrek Lee of the Chicago Cubs (.385, 5 HR, 19 RBI); Todd Helton of the Colorado Rockies (.330, 7 HR, 27 RBI); and Edgardo Alfonzo of the San Francisco Giants (.305, 3 HR, 28 RBI).

Other pitchers receiving votes were: Dan Kolb of the Milwaukee Brewers (0.00 ERA, 10 saves) and Jason Schmidt of the San Francisco Giants (4-0, 2.19 ERA, 42 SO).

Terrmel Sledge of the Montreal Expos (.294, 3 HR, 8 RBI), who was May's NL Rookie of the Month, and Tim Hummel of the Cincinnati Reds (.366, HR) were among those also considered for first-year player honors in June.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
HAHA.

Thome went 0 for 8 last night with 5K's

TRD

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Whats so funny about that? He hit 15 homers last month. Who else achieved that? Also he tied a record that had stood at the club for 81 years. Well deserved in my eyes.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Its funny because won the night he won it he went 0-8. I know that he did deserve it.

TRD

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Yea i guess he started off his month a bit bad then..lol!

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Just a bit???

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I guess it all evens out in the end...

top topics

join