It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: TENNIS: Connors-McEnroe vs. Sampras-??? for $1M

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
WIMBLEDON, England -- Former Wimbledon champion Jimmy Connors is pitching a proposal for a $1 million doubles match that would include him, John McEnroe and Pete Sampras.

The most intriguing twist: Connors, 51, said he and longtime rival McEnroe, 45, would be partners. Teaming with Sampras would be someone "from his generation or one guy from the younger generation that's playing today," Connors said.

McEnroe said he was interested, especially if the Sampras team is limited to one serve per point.

"Jimmy has proven that he has pretty much gone off the deep end by trying to put this match together," McEnroe said. "I'm already off the deep by agreeing to consider doing it."

source

ESPN

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
This would be cool, especially if they got Agassi to team with Sampras, the best from the '80s vs. the best from the '90s.

TRD

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
If this match ever went ahead this is one i would definatly watch.

Did Sampras ever play in doubles matches?

Thing is just because they were great singles players doesn't mean they will have the understanding of playing doubles with a partner. The more you think about it the more boring the match might seem. Just a serve and volley might determin each point. Not a great doubles match in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Yeah, bu tpeople would still tune in, with big-time names like that, expecially retired big names.

Ben

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
why one serve though?

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I guess to even the playing field, accounting for conners/Mac's age.

TRD

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
why one serve though?

Well do you think these old guy's could return a Sampras serve? The most proberly won't even see it let alone hit it..And he can team up with someone who play's today...Roddick? Imagine that..Thats what i mean by one serve.

top topics

join