It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: TENNIS: Williams sisters won't play against Austria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Serena and Venus Williams will skip the U.S. Fed Cup team's quarterfinal against Austria next month, with Martina Navratilova, Chanda Rubin, Lisa Raymond and Jill Craybas on the team announced Wednesday.

"According to the ranking the Americans are still the favorites, but without Venus Williams they are certainly not as strong. If my girls reach top form anything is possible," Austrian captain Alfred Tesar told The Associated Press in Vienna.

Venus Williams lost in the second round at Wimbledon last week, while Serena reached the semifinals by beating Jennifer Capriati 6-1, 6-1 Wednesday.

Rubin was knocked out in the first round at the All England Club, while Navratilova played singles there for the first time in a decade and reached the second round.

Navratilova and Raymond are playing doubles together at Wimbledon.

Craybas, 30, never has played Fed Cup.

Austria's squad for the July 10-11 matches in Innsbruck is Barbara Schett, Barbara Schwartz, Patricia Wartusch and Sybille Bammer.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I wonder why they aren't competing? I didn't see any explanation.

TRD

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Maybe they fancied a rest and the rest of the US team think they can take them easily. I hope it doesn't back fire on them.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
That seems kinda snobbish, if you ask me. Aren't they among the top women players in the world? Shouldn't they be representing thier home country?

TRD

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Well yes they should but if they had a busy schedule then a rest might be in order. Also it gives the other girl's a chance to shine. Don't forget if one of them gets a injury then one of the others would step in. Not a bad way to get them in the set-up if you ask me.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Good points. It would be nice to see some newer blood on the team, though. Martina, as great as she is, isn't getting any younger.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
i would think that as rich as they have become and the doors that tennis has opened up for them in this country and around the world they would be proud to represent their country, they should be ashamed of themselves

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
i would think that as rich as they have become and the doors that tennis has opened up for them in this country and around the world they would be proud to represent their country, they should be ashamed of themselves

That's how I'm thinking, but as TRD pointed out, letting them rest now might help them in the next round.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
that could be, assuming of course that the team advances without them, i am not at all a tennis fan but i do remember reading that one of the reasons the top stars can look so bad and be beaten in the early rounds of a tourny is that they get a lot of appearance money, that is they can show up, lose quick and be on a plane somewhere else to make a showing and pick up a big check from another tournement where they are being promoted to lure more fans, not saying that is what is happening here, just feel that they should be playing for the team

TRD

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
They wouldn't get any appearance money as they are not playing are they?

There might be a perfectly good reason as to why they are not playing. The report doesn't actually say why.

As i said before it's a good way to get new players into the fold and Martina wouldn't be playing if they was. Maybe they wanted to give her the chance to play in her final year.

top topics

join