It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: TENNIS: Federer into final

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Roger Federer took his place in the Wimbledon final this afternoon when he took just 29 minutes to finish off Sebastien Grosjean. The defending champion and world number one had to withstand a spirited fightback from the Frenchman when they resumed their semi-final which had been abandoned last night after a day of constant showers. But he finally booked his spot in tomorrow's final on his fourth match point in a third set tie-break to take the match 6-2 6-3 7-6.

BBC Sport

The players returned to a sunny Centre Court at 1200 BST, and after saving two match points Grosjean went on to serve for the set as Federer lost focus.

But the Frenchman could not complete an unlikely comeback, and Federer came through an edgy tie-break to advance.

"I'm very relieved," Federer told BBC1.

"It was difficult to stop with the match at such a point.

Things were looking good but you never know what can happen. On a new day, he might have turned it around."

Federer equalled Pete Sampras' record of 23 straight wins on grass with victory over Grosjean, but he insisted he did not feel invincible on the surface.

"I always feel like my opponent has a chance," said Federer, who can surpass Sampras' record in Sunday's final.

"This year has been fantastic and it's difficult to understand why I'm so dominant this year.

But I always have the same attitude - if I don't play well I could lose,"
added the world number one.

new topics

join