It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: TENNIS: Maria Sharapova takes Wimbledon Final

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Maria Sharapova stunned the world of tennis this afternoon when she became the first Russian woman to win the Wimbledon singles title at the tender age of 17. The nerveless girl from Siberia defeated defending champion Serena Williams 6-1 6-4 in one of the most remarkable tennis stories ever told.

At the end she collapsed to the turf on her knees, held her hands to her face and then skipped to the net to embrace her opponent. She then jogged into the crowd to hug dad Yuri and then attempted to phone her mother Yelena at home in Florida on her mobile phone. She could not get through but then she held aloft the Venus Rosewater Bowl and collapsed into a fit of schoolgirl giggles.

BBC Sport

Williams was expected to make it a hat-trick of titles, but a stunned Centre Court crowd watched as she was overpowered 6-1 6-4 by a 17-year-old. Sharapova, in her first Grand Slam final, took the first set in 30 minutes. Williams was a break up in a compelling second set, but Sharapova found another level to take her first Grand Slam. Sharapova, the first Russian woman to win the Wimbledon title, sank to her knees as her victory was confirmed and then climbed to the players' box to hug her father.

"It's unreal," she told BBC Sport after collecting the trophy.

"My father and I have been through this together and it's just amazing."

"I know how tough it is to watch and playing is a lot easier so I owe him so much."

Making her debut in a Grand Slam final, Sharapova showed no sign of nerves.

Indeed it was Williams, the six-times Grand Slam winner, who was struggling to find her rhythm and the top seed fired a backhand long to give the Russian an early 3-1 lead. It quickly became 5-1 when Sharapova whipped a backhand winner cross-court to break for the second time. Serving out the set did not prove so easy, but after seeing three set points go by, the Russian took control of the final after just 30 minutes.

But Williams was not ready to surrender her crown without a fight, and she engineered her first service break of the match to lead 4-2 in the second set. Sharapova, though, has impressed observers with her ability to ignore setbacks, and she proved it again in the final. The teenager broke straight back and then even had her opponent applauding when she produced a stunning lob in the next game.

That shot appeared to inspire her and she stepped up a level again. The ninth game proved crucial, and the crowd could hardly believe their eyes. Williams was sent rushing all over the court as she battled to avoid the break, but the Russian remained ice cool. On her fourth opportunity, she finally earnt the chance to serve for the match, and Williams' fightback was over.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
WOW
!!

She did it! Congratulations, Maria!

Now, what are you doing this Saturday?

TRD

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
She played very well and i was surprised. She ended running out a easy winner. Looks like a new generation of stars is about to hit the tennis world.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Glad to see it. It's not so much that I don't like the Willkiams sisters, I'm jus tsick of hearing about them all the time.

Ben

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I saw on sportscenter the day before the final, and Serena Williams was talking about how many russians are out there, and how she couldnt keep track of all of them and the ova's and such, It had sounded like she was mocking the russians and Sharapova.

But on that Saturday, Sharapova really took it to her, she made serena look weak and stupid on the court. Serena had some points but it was a dominating performace by the young russian sensation. She took it to Serena in every way shape and form, Serena could do nothing but watch herself get dominated.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I haven't had the chance to catch any of Wimbledon this year, but I am glad to hear what Ben just said, Serena getting put in her place for being too cocky.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

Now, what are you doing this Saturday?

Oh man you said it, dude!

I think she's pretty. Not as good looking at Kournikova but at least she can win.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Yeah, well we should be jailed for thinking like that, she's only 17...

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Speak for yourself dude.

All I was thinking about was taking her to dinner and nothing else.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
oh, sorry Fox, I don't mean to be planting evil thoughts in your head...

but did you see this?

new topics

top topics

join