It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Macca wary of final step

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Welsh cruiserweight Enzo Maccarinelli says Ismail Abdoul is his last test ahead of major unification fights.

The 23-year-old makes the fourth defence of his low-rent WBU title in Newport on Saturday, with the prospect of a big-money contest if he succeeds.

"I'd say one more fight and I'm ready (for a unification bout)," he said.

"I've been training for this all my life and I'm ready to go now. I can't take Abdoul lightly, but I want to get rid of him and challenge for a belt."

Maccarinelli's primary target is WBO champion Johnny Nelson, whom he regards as the best cruiserweight in the world, but the heavy-punching Swansea swinger wants to unify all the titles.

"Before next year is over I want to be the number-one in the world at my weight," Maccarinelli told BBC Sport Wales.

Maccarinelli was due to fight on Saturday against Carlos Cruzat, but the Chilean withdrew with an ankle injury leaving 27-year-old Belgian Abdoul to fill the breach.

"I've boxed before with a change of opponent so it's no big deal," said the champion.

"He's a tough boy with good pedigree and boxing skills, and he can punch a bit

"But I've done plenty of road work and around 60 rounds of sparring and I'm punching with more explosive power after a new weight-training programme."

Abdoul, a former nightclub bouncer from Ghent, says an incident in his former career has inspired him to seize his chance against Maccarinelli.

After refusing entry to a group of drug dealers he was shot three times by the disgruntled gangsters, leaving him to fight for his life.

"Now I have been given a second chance at life and I must use it," said Abdoul.

"Everybody wants to fight for a world title and this is a dream come true, now I must do my best to take advantage.

"I know nothing about him except he is taller than me, he's a good boxer and a very hard puncher. So I must try not to be punched."

Story from BBC SPORT:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2004/07/02 17:47:58 GMT

© BBC MMIV

new topics

join