It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Calzaghe pursuing Johnson

page: 1

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 07:26 PM
Wales' Joe Calzaghe says he still wants to fight IBF light heavyweight champion Glen Johnson.

The Newbridge boxer withdrew from his 12 June date with Johnson because of a back injury, but he is now recovered.

His chances seem slim, though, Johnson turning down a 24 July date in Cardiff and eyeing a proposed 25 September fight with Roy Jones Jr in the USA.

"I'm still hopeful the Johnson fight will go ahead," Calzaghe said in his column for the South Wales Argus.

"I'm still contracted to fight him, my promoter Frank Warren has put it in the hands of lawyers, and he's not signed to fight anybody else yet.

"People ask me if I'm still gutted after losing the immediate chance to become a two-weight world champion, but there's no point worrying about it or dwelling on it.

"It's amazing, but a week after having to pull out [of the Johnson fight] with a back problem, I'm feeling fine again and have already started training.

"That's the trouble with back spasms. You can have them one day and a week later everything feels fine and then they can come back again.

"It's so frustrating and it was just bad luck the last spasm came at exactly the wrong time. But my ambition is as great as ever."

Story from BBC SPORT:

Published: 2004/07/02 18:14:34 GMT

new topics